What It's About
A jewelry side hustle makes its way onto popular TV shows and brings in around $2,000 a month.
Words of Wisdom
When she got pregnant, Ruthie decided to see if she could turn her hustle into something bigger. She spent more of her time creating and listing new pieces and soon found her niche in the wedding market. This strategy was so successful for that she was able to step down to part-time at work because she was making $2,000-$3,000 per month from her Etsy shop.
Ruthie previously had a side hustle that involved hand-painting Dr. Scholl’s sandals for her “Love Your Soles” Etsy shop. While looking for things to decorate her sandals with, she discovered the sparkly beads and crystals that inspired her to create her “Love Your Bling" jewelry shop on Etsy.
Notes from Chris
Not every hobby should be a hustle, and vice versa, but sometimes something you do to develop your creativity can lead to an income-generating project. Today you’ll hear a classic story of that. It’s all about a social worker who turns a de-stressing hobby into a $2,000/month side hustle. The best part about her project is that it started out by being something she just really enjoyed doing. All things being equal, why not try to have both? For a lot of people, that’s the goal: finding something that you love to do that's also profitable. That’s why you should always ask yourself not just “What do I like to do?” but “How can I identify profitable ideas?” as well. MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Love Your Bling: Check out more of Ruthie's blinged out, made-for-tv jewelry on her Etsy page
- Etsy: The world’s largest homemade marketplace is ideal to help you get started selling your products today
- The Artisan Group: An invitation-only organization that focuses on introducing celebrities to handcrafted products.
- SHS Starter Platforms: Sometimes it can be difficult to know where to start with your side hustle. To get you going, here are some great starter sites and platforms!
- Elementary School Teacher Pans for Gold in New Zealand: After changing continents multiple times, an elementary school teacher finds true love, settles down in NZ, goes panning for gold, and ends up making $40,000/year working mostly on the weekends.
- Detroit Women Make Jewelry for Proft and Social Good: An attorney starts a jewelry company with purpose, employing disadvantaged women in Detroit to help them transition from a life of dependence into one of self-reliance.
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,