Notes from Chris
Episode 610THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: In Gretchen Rubin’s most recent episode (Ep. 184—listen to it here!), she included a number of tips and ideas about how to have a Happier Labor Day (#happierlaborday). I’ll just note that my philosophy is that the meaning of life is not to stop working and sit on the beach. That’s fine for a few days or a week, but then what do you do? Surely the answer is to find meaningful work, something that you believe in and can look forward to. If I think about times of career satisfaction vs. dissatisfaction, most of the satisfying times came when I was challenging myself in some significant way, doing something new, or embracing a quest of some kind. The times I was dissatisfied were when I tried to do something I wasn’t good at (and didn’t want to do), but I felt like I had to for whatever reason. Or I was otherwise striving in some way that felt inauthentic. So my challenge to you today is that if you feel dissatisfied, let’s mix it up somehow! Promise yourself that you’ll do something by the end of the day to make a change. If you're interested in learning more about Happier Labor Day, check out today's Weekly Recap and head on over to Gretchen's podcast page!
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: This is a new segment we're trying out with the help of side hustlers that we've featured in the past. Today, we have an update from Jake Posko, who was featured very early in the show on Ep. 23. When we featured Jake back in 2017, he was advertising "the World's most awesome guitar lessons," and he also found a way to bring in passive income through referrals on his website, Severn River Guitar. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Jake and learn what's happened since he was featured on the show!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 604 - An ad executive turned teddy bear manufacturer creates a military-grade sleep system for children, earning $100,000 in sales and making a lot of people beary happy
- Ep. 605 - Hungover after a night of hosting a party, an Australian accountant comes up with an unusual cleaning service that goes on to earn $30,000/year part-time
- Ep. 606 - What starts as a collegiate adventure in getting around the legal drinking age requirements leads to a mission that turns trash into cash
- Ep. 607 - A digital marketing manager finds success by growing her dollhouse drop-shipping website business—all without paying for advertising, and by working only one hour a week
- Ep. 608 - After experiencing the frustrating moment of not having a witty reply for a rude stranger, this event organizer launches a website to share the best comebacks for every situation
- Ep. 609 - After a painful breakup, an account manager becomes a new spokes-person for side hustling by reselling bicycle gear
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- This CPA was burned out on office work, so she turned her efforts to an Etsy business—but it wasn’t long before she was hitting the books again, just in a more creative way. Her new spreadsheets help Etsy sellers and earn a six-figure income for her
- In search of a side hustle, two Australian friends learn to import toothbrushes from the U.S., earning $30,000 in profit
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,