Notes from Chris
Episode 316Shout Outs & Listener Q&A: Today we have a listener email from Janet in Phoenix, and a listener voicemail from Steven in New York. Also! In today's Weekly Recap, we tackle the topic of whether or not you need to feel passionate about the product you're reselling—listen to the episode to learn more!
- Janet: "Do you have to be passionate about something that you're reselling. What if you just find a good opportunity?" Steven: Steven has a question about subscription models, but his question doesn't have anything to do with the logistics of starting one—rather how to end one. He says that he feels like a lot of people are hesitant to start subscription based side hustles because they're not sure what to do if the side hustle doesn't end up working out. What do you do if you want to halt your subscription service?
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 310 - This enterprising Aussie teen sells 50-75 lollipops a day, earning a 100% profit margin and drawing a crowd of happy customers that follow the sound of her jangling pockets. Don’t be a sucker—you need a hustle!
- Ep. 311 - A teacher-turned-construction inspector aces his exams and creates a series of courses to help others entering the field
- Ep. 312 - An artist uploads a drawing video to YouTube and discovers a massive audience for tutorials, allowing him to pay off debt and make a good living
- Ep. 313 - She had worked in the music industry, but she had never performed—until she discovered a hidden talent that pays $200/hour
- Ep. 314 - In a sign of the times of how popular side hustles are becoming, this substitute teacher hosts Tupperware-style parties where attendees use her stencils to make handcrafted signs. Rise and sign!
- Ep. 315 - A lifelong interest in hemp leads a Kentucky woman to start an online marketplace for CBD oil
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm also about to start the ninth week of my 100-city book tour! My bags are packed, and my first stop this week is in Minneapolis (join me!). I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- Newark, NJ - November 19th
- Nashville, TN - November 20th
- Los Angeles, CA - November 27th
- Santa Barbara, CA - November 28th
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- After spending 20+ years as a scout and volunteer, a woman creates a series of resources for troop leaders. Selling at just $3-5 an item, she earns $3,000-3,500 each month
- A frustrated office worker “throws shade” on her feelings about coming to work each day—then gets paid for her complaints
- After feeling jealous over a friend’s boat outing, a San Diego student creates a sharing economy platform to connect adventurers with gear
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,