What It's About
Niche online courses that help people live more organic lives.
Words of Wisdom
There are still plenty of niche industries that are relatively underdeveloped online, so if strong competition gives you pause, look for markets with a minimal online presence and make yourself an authority there. And if you're not sure where to start, go to Amazon and look for niches and books that have lots of comments and a following that lack decent online courses in those topics online.
Organic Life Guru allowed Chris and Samantha to spend an entire winter in Costa Rica so that they could collaborate with an instructor in the rainforest and create a really big course for their site.
Notes from Chris
Episode 328Today’s story comes from Chris Badgett in Belfast, Maine. By day, Chris is the CEO at LifterLMS, a WordPress plugin for online courses. (This was originally a side hustle before it became his full-time job.) His new side hustle is Organic Life Guru, a website offering online courses in organic gardening and permaculture from the world’s top organic growing experts. He wanted to do something that that aligned with his values and liked the idea of starting a membership site. Chris has a degree in sustainable development and describes himself as an environmentalist. He runs this hustle with his wife, Samantha, an organic farmer. Chris works on the website and the marketing, and Samantha is responsible for course content, instructor relationships, and customer support. OLG offers courses in topics ranging from beekeeping, permaculture design, organic gardening, food forest design for cities and suburbs, organic soil building for backyard gardening, how to grow a medicinal food forest, and more. The nine courses range in cost from $20 to $225 and offer anywhere from two hours of content to about 20 hours of content. The profit is roughly $1,000 to $3,000 per month, and the sales volume fluctuates based on whether or not they’re doing a promotion or new course launch. A launch brings higher income, but also more work. They’re able to structure their side hustle life around what’s happening with the rest of their life. For them, it’s the best of both worlds, and it also aligns with those values of teaching people about the earth.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Organic Life Guru: Take a page out of the books from some of the world’s leading organic growth experts when you check out Chris and Samantha's online courses
- Screenflow, iMovie, & Final Cut Pro: Three of the programs that Chris and Samantha used to edit the videos for their courses
- Vimeo Pro: The video platform that Chris and Samantha used to keep their videos exclusive to course purchasers
- KingSumo Giveaways: The Wordpress plugin that they used that allowed people to enter for a chance to win a course for free
- Unconventional Guides: A very small business with the goal of helping people do more of what they are most excited about
- Show Me the Honey: Houston Beekeeper Buzzes to $4,000/Month: In this buzzworthy episode, a Texas woman creates a $4,000/month side hustle as an advocate for sustainable honeybee habitats
- Published Author Adds Income Source; Makes Additional $21,000 Her First Year: A successful novelist teaches an online course about productivity for writers, reaching 3,700 students in year one
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,