What It's About
Two friends start a podcast to share their wisdom-filled conversations—and make multiple six-figures!
Words of Wisdom
I asked Kathleen how to build a brand and get more podcast listeners. She said to focus on making “real” content, having real conversations. And show up with consistency. They haven’t missed a week of recording in over three years.
Although they got sponsorship early, Kathleen’s advice is to not worry about it. It’s rare to make a good income entirely from sponsorships. If you do get sponsored, make sure your values and expectations are aligned. And think outside of the box on what that partnership looks like.
Kathleen and Emily's lucky break was when Freshbooks Cloud Accounting wanted to partner with them right out of the gate. These days, they have become more than a sponsor and have collaborated with them by buying their bosses beers at a local (to their HQ) brewery in Toronto, a party on a yacht in Miami, and a parade through the streets of New Orleans at their annual Being Boss Vacations. These vacations are how they celebrate their successes—not only with each other but their community of listeners.
Notes from Chris
Episode 404Kathleen Shannon and Emily Thompson were creative colleagues. Kathleen co-founded a branding agency in 2011, and Emily’s studio has been developing websites for almost a decade. They collaborated on some projects and struck up a friendship. Then they started meeting monthly for Skype calls. They would share what was and wasn’t working in their businesses and exchange ideas to take their businesses to the next level. In November of 2014, Emily pitched the idea of turning those conversations into a podcast called Being Boss Podcast. They knew their conversations were similar to what a lot of other creatives were having. Less than three months later, in January of 2015, they released their first episode. They had no plans to monetize this podcast. If anything, they hoped it would be an awareness tactic for Kathleen’s branding agency and Emily’s website development studio. However, soon after that first episode, they were featured in the "new and noteworthy" section of iTunes." They also made it up to number two in the Business category! They kept their expenses low by not using expensive equipment and doing most of the production themselves using GarageBand. As their revenue increased, they began to hire or outsource parts of the process. They invested in a sound engineer, a content director, and a virtual assistant, among others. Speaking of revenue, after making a bit over one-hundred-thousand dollars in their first year, they made $250,000 dollars in 2016. And last year, they made over $400,000 dollars.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Being Boss Podcast: Check out these awesome ladies and their super informative podcast over on their website!
- Freshbooks: The accounting software company that ended up being Being Boss' first official partner and helped them really get started
- GarageBand: The digital audio workstation that allowed Kathleen and Emily to create their podcast and keep their expenses low
- EXTENDED CUT #11: Lessons in Podcasting: If you're thinking of starting a podcast, what do you need to know? This special episode includes tips on marketing, content, gear, and more
- From Landscaper to Podcast Producer Earning $4k/Month: A Canadian landscaper lands on the side hustle trifecta: passion, skill, and opportunity. He eventually uses his new income to quit his job and travel to 10 countries
- Musician Turns Drum Lessons Into Six-Figure Podcast: It starts with a drum set that his brother’s band left at his house for a month when he was a teenager—and it develops into a lifelong love of percussion and a major moneymaker
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by LinkedIn. 💼
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,