What It's About
Two moms tackle the cannabis industry with their "feel good" products.
Words of Wisdom
No matter your stance on the legalization of cannabis, wherever there is a fast-growing industry like this, there are often ways to profit from it. Keep your eyes open for fast growing industries you can jump on board with!
The Cordial Organics team are always excited to find new uses for their products. One friend put their lip balm on her bug bite and it went away in just a few hours!
Notes from Chris
In late 2016, Shelly Phegley and Desi Mckinnon predicted a change in California’s political landscape that would open up a whole new world of side hustles. The state was about to vote on cannabis laws which would eventually lead to legal recreational use of marijuana. It was then that Shelly and Desi noticed a group of people was being highly underserved. At one end of the spectrum, people were marketing marijuana-based products and campaigning for votes from what you might call the “stoner” crowd. And at the other end, the products were being targeted to the medical industry, which, to them, felt a little sterile. There was an entire group of people, including Moms like Shelly and Desi, who could benefit from the use of the herb but weren’t being included in the conversation. They wanted to use marijuana and its extracts for its everyday benefits—not to cure illness or bring on a sudden craving for Doritos. So, the pair decided they’d create the products they’d like to see in the market. They invested some cash into their own plants and began to extract the THC—Tetrahydrocannabinol—to make their own tinctures under the banner, Cordial Organics. These were drops and balms and oils that came with natural health benefits. They then shared their product with people through their network to see if they had a market. The response was positive, especially from other moms, so they decided to proceed. Shelly and Desi have lots of success stories from their side hustle. They’ve received countless letters from people who’ve seen the benefits. But their favorite, by far, is the thank you note they received from someone who had used their products to successfully manage the side effects from chemotherapy. Setting up a business like this doesn’t come cheaply, though. Despite generating income of up to $7,000 per month, profit margins are still low. But, thanks to their marketing efforts, they’re expecting that to change in the next few months. This joint operation is not just blowing smoke... it’s high time they got their reward.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Cordial Organics: Learn more about Shelly, Desi, and the benefits of THC and CBD in your health and wellness products
- Squarespace: The website building platform that Shelly and Desi used to create their website for Cordial Organics
- Wordpress: Shelly and Desi switched to Wordpress using Woocommerce to run their shop, and here you can learn how to install your own Wordpress site in 5 minutes
- How To Start A Legal Cannabis Business: Learn more about how to start your own business hustling legal cannabis goods!
- Fulbright Scholar Earns $2k/Month Selling CBD Oil: A lifelong interest in hemp leads a Kentucky woman to start an online marketplace for CBD oil
- Cannabis Cookies Make a Sweet, Soothing Side Hustle: In a growing industry, this Oregon mom achieves high returns from licensed marijuana edibles
- “High Times” Cartoonist Creates Creative Cannabis Accessories: A longtime cartoonist becomes a woodworker, then sells his handcrafted smoking wands to hundreds of wholesale shops, earning up to $20,000 per trade show
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Social media is nice, but building an email list is still the single best way to get customers and clients for your hustle. It's not hard to get started—sign up for a 30-day trial and join the list-building challenge! You’ll be up and running in no time.
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,