What It's About
A resourceful programmer helps employers take workplace efficiency to the next level.
Words of Wisdom
For anyone looking to start a similar business, Colin has one piece of advice: Google is your friend. He says there are so many great free resources, from podcasts to ebooks and blog posts, to help you solve your problems you can solve many problems for free if you’re willing to rummage around on search engines.
One of Colin’s customers completely changed his staff roster and created a "skeleton crew" to keep the factory ticking during lunch breaks once he saw the production data and realized how much lunch breaks were costing him. I guess the saying is true that you can't manage what you can't measure!
Notes from Chris
Episode 363South African engineer Colin Myburgh wanted an interesting side hustle that would one day help him quit his day job. Obsessed with efficiency, he noticed many of the factories he worked with were using outdated systems to collect information. They had people walking around with clipboards to monitor input and output—a practice that cost them thousands of hours and dollars every year. It was here Colin saw a side hustle opportunity. He’d been learning about the Internet of Things—connecting objects to the internet to improve their functionality, including thermostats or appliances or even your doorbell—and felt he could put his engineering and programming skills to good use. Using this know-how, Colin created his own system that factory owners could implement to increase their productivity through his new business, which he called Production Reporting. He would go into a factory, install a simple piece of hardware that he could source locally, and have the data transmitted back to one easy to use dashboard. The hardware would monitor: cycle times, production counts, downtime reasons, and other relevant info that could be used to make better decisions. Colin’s business works on a subscription model, which makes his monthly income much more predictable, and he charges $800-1200 for installation and around $400/month for ongoing service. When clients subscribe to his service they receive emails every morning from Colin with the previous day's reports. And, if they want, they have twenty-four-seven access to real-time data through the online dashboard. This can be accessed through their mobile phones, tablets or desktop computers. Basically, they can get their information whenever they need it. Thanks to the subscription model, Colin has been able to generate recurring income of $3,700 per month through his business, and he continues to grow month to month.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Production Reporting: Learn more about Colin's super efficient productivity solution on his website
- Amazon Web Services: Where he got the cloud space that he used to store the data for his clients
- Upwork: The platform that Colin used to reach out to freelancers when he encountered coding hiccups
- Forbes | A Simple Explanation Of 'The Internet Of Things': The "Internet of things" is becoming an increasingly growing topic of conversation both in the workplace and outside of it, but what exactly is it and what impact is it going to have on you, if any?
- Lost & Found: How Lost Property Helps a UK Woman Find Her Side Hustle: Tanya-Jane Park wasn’t looking for a side hustle when she went to a popular music festival, but when her friend lost her handbag, she managed to find one anyway
- Charter Bus Employee Creates PR Service for Bloggers: How a digital marketer created something for himself, then decided to try selling it other people who had the same needs. He now makes more than $2,500 a month from this side project
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,