Notes from Chris
Episode 722THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: The holidays can be hard for all sorts of reasons. Even if you love the season and your family is perfect, you still might find it challenging to devote time to yourself. I often mention that starting a side hustle is essentially an investment in yourself. If you have a hard time exercising or otherwise following your routines during the holidays, you might also run into obstacles trying to build or improve a project. On the other hand, if you can work it out, this can be an ideal time to start something new. You’ve got some time off from work. There are fewer emails going around that you need to respond to. So what can you do?
- Give yourself a holiday deadline (i.e. “This weekend” or “Before new year’s”)
- Consider if you need to do everything you normally do. Do you need to bake those cookies? If yes, then do so! Would your family be happy with Pillsbury cookies? If so, save half an hour and use the rest of the time to write copy for your sales page or list more items on Etsy!
- If everyone else is off caroling or sledding, maybe you could sneak away and spend a couple hours My advice or encouragement is: Be festive, but don’t forget about yourself! To learn more about this and everything else, check out today's Weekly Recap!
- Ep. 716 - A banking duo discovers a disconnect between business news sites and millennials, then builds the solution into their full-time occupation
- Ep. 717 - A former product manager sees the potential in importing specialty car parts
- Ep. 718 - Did you hear the one about the dad with the blog? He earns an extra $2,000/month
- Ep. 719 - A journey from Wall Street to a healthy snack alternative—and then to a brand new career
- Ep. 720 - A creative outlet leads to a profitable business earning at least $3,000 a month
- Ep. 721 - An Australian communications strategist creates an online memorial service that earns $250,000 a year
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: Today, we have an update from Erin Austin, who was featured on the show in Ep. 142. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Erin herself! You can also check out her website, Le Yogi Francophone.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- An advertising executive discovers the world of puppet fabric and unlocks a new career
- After a stressful divorce, this social worker and mom needs to make money. She begins by selling cupcakes at the local market, then goes on to establish a sustainable business
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Side Hustle School is brought to you by American Express.
No matter what you do in business, from working nine-to-five to working five-to-nine, it’s easier when you don’t go it alone. Get the powerful backing of American Express—don't do business without it! 💳
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,