What It's About
A teacher funds her honeymoon by selling curriculum for other teachers online.
Words of Wisdom
Erin recently got married and used the money from the side hustle to pay for the majority of her honeymoon to New Zealand and Tahiti. This is a great example of how your income on the side can go toward something fun or different from just paying your regular bills.
Erin’s Teachers Pay Teachers store name is LeYogiFrancophone—the French-speaking Yogi. In a previous side hustle, she took adult yoga students abroad on yoga-themed vacations in France.
Notes from Chris
Episode 142There are a lot of teachers who listen to Side Hustle School. And that’s no surprise! Teachers are resourceful and hardworking. The saying is true: if you want to get something done, ask a busy teacher to do it. Today’s episode features a platform that teachers use to connect with customers—even if they don’t have an email list or a website of their own. Erin began with a free account, posted her first free item (everyone who sells off the site has to), and then started uploading curriculum she created. Once she was seeing consistent sales each month, she decided to upgrade to a premium seller account to get a higher percentage of sales. After she’d been doing it for a while, Erin started earning at least $500/month. Because her market is fellow teachers, the income varies according to the school calendar. She makes more in September, April, and May, and less in June and July. In the first few months of 2017, she’s made almost $2,700, so she’s definitely on track to earn more than last year. MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Le Yogi Francophone: Learn more about Erin and all of her products on her profile on Teachers Pay Teachers
- Teachers Pay Teachers: The peer-to-peer sharing platform that Erin uses to sell her curriculum
- Intellectual Property Law | The U.S. Small Business Association: Learn more about your intellectual property rights and how you can find the right protection for your business
- Websites & Platforms to Make Quick Cash: Here's a list of starter sites and platforms that you can use to get started on your side hustle today!
- College Lecturer Makes Money by Helping Other Instructors Teach Better: How a woman who uses skills she learned in her day job as a college lecturer to instruct other teachers how to be more successful in the classroom
- Waldorf Teacher Designs Curriculum for Other Educators: How a teacher uses what she knows to help other teachers save time and teach more effectively
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,