What It's About
A language teacher creates audio lessons, bringing in a recurring passive income.
Words of Wisdom
Although the initial investment of time for Janina was significant—it ate a lot of her spare time to upload years of language lessons and games—once everything was in place she could save countless hours per week, just pointing people to one link every time they asked her for help or advice.
If you’re fluent in a second language, you don’t need a qualification to become a language tutor. You can set yourself up on a platform like iTalki and have a new side hustle in no time.
Notes from Chris
For language teacher Janina Klimas, time was starting to become a real problem. The immersive lessons, games, and projects she’d created had turned her into a highly sought after teacher by both students and other teachers alike. But although she wanted to increase her income and loved working with students, she didn’t want to spend all day locked in the classroom. She decided she needed to increase her income without having to work more hours and keep the work life balance she’d worked hard to create. Janina is now at the point where she makes $500 per month completely passively every month. Each course she creates is based on what she’s already teaching her other students and requires around 20 hours to upload. But once it’s ready it continues to sell itself without any extra work.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Real Life Language: If you're interested in learning a new language, check out Janina's courses
- Teachers Pay Teachers: The educational marketplace that Janina listed her audio products on
- iTalki: A language learning social network that connects students and language teachers
- These Resume Templates Make $462/month in Passive Income: A student creates a visual resume service to make extra cash, then transitions that service to work smarter, not harder. It now brings in $462 in month in completely passive income
- High-School French Teacher Earns $8,000 Writing & Selling Curriculum: A busy high-school teacher uploads more than 600 digital products to a peer-to-peer sharing site, where she’s paid a royalty for each sale
- Woman on Food Stamps Earns $86,000 Teaching People to Bake Bread: In the face of adversity, a woman creates a series of online courses teaching the art of baking sourdough bread. Stop loafing around! If she can do it, you can too
Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,