Notes from Chris
Episode 638THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: At the end of my yoga class the other day, the instructor said something about how “your body appreciates you making time for it.” I know as well as you that it can be hard to find the time for yoga or running or hitting the gym—but when you make time, you’re usually better off. It’s this weird paradox of how the things we need to do for ourselves tend to get de-prioritized in comparison to other peoples’ needs or the demands being placed on us—yet if we’re not caring for ourself, sooner or later we’re not going to be a great help for anyone else. Naturally, I think this is true in the world of your income-generating project, the one you do apart from your job. Sometimes it’s tough to find time. What will you be better off with having found a way to make time for this week? To hear more, check out today's Weekly Recap!
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: This is a new segment we're trying out with the help of side hustlers that we've featured in the past. Today, we have an update from Daniel Grove, who was featured on the show in Ep. 119. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Daniel himself! You can also check out his website, Daniel Grove Photography, and podcast, The Visionary Variety podcast.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 632 - A former sound engineer in Texas maps out a successful career by providing free information guides for hotel guests. The guides are underwritten by advertisers, who pay for their business to get in front of out-of-town guests
- Ep. 633 - When this government employee is let go from his job, he stumbles upon a reselling opportunity that would end up helping his family ride the coming recession—and eventually earn six figures in a single year
- Ep. 634 - A physician designs and manufactures plush toys in the shape of human organs. They’re used to teach kids about the human body and as “get well soon” gifts for hospital patients
- Ep. 635 - Discovering the art of tea-stained prints using publicly available (and free!) art, a Trader Joe’s employee begins earning $3,600 a month selling custom prints online
- Ep. 636 - It’s no secret that crutches are uncomfortable. Their little-known alternative has led to a profitable side hustle for this caretaker Canadian
- Ep. 637 - An unconventional workout tool becomes a hit on Kickstarter, then goes on to earn $20,000 a month for its creator
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- From the local farmers market to the kitchens of major tech corporations—this granola recipe isn’t good, it’s grrrrrrr-eat!
- Taking advantage of some downtime, this Alberta firefighter picks up a chainsaw and begins carving out life-sized wooden bears. He sells his creations to universities, restaurants, and anyone who wants a unique (and large!) handcrafted item
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
This week, Side Hustle School is brought to you by Crazy Enough to Work, a popular podcast and film series. 📈
When the rest of the world is still zigging, some companies know when it’s time to zag. Elizabeth Banks has teamed up with State Street Global Advisors to make a series of podcasts and films that uncover the bold moves mid-cap companies make to thrive and survive.
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,