Notes from Chris
Episode 631THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: I sometimes talk about how you shouldn’t build your business so that it’s dependent on any one platform or network. In this episode, I mention that we at team Side Hustle School got an experience of living that out this week. Our podcast network that we’ve partnered with since first beginning made an announcement that they were no longer going to produce podcasts! It felt a little strange since that was their main business—it was like going to the grocery store and the store saying that they no longer sell food. First of all: we’re not going anywhere. We have plenty of other options to distribute the show, and your listening experience shouldn't change at all. Second: Nothing is sacred or permanent. Don’t put all your trust, attention, or retirement plans in any network, platform, or company. Or even any medium—I love podcasting but everything changes. To hear more, check out today's Weekly Recap!
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: This is a new segment we're trying out with the help of side hustlers that we've featured in the past. Today, we have an update from Brent Vaartstra, who was featured on the show in Ep. 69. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Brent himself! You can also check out his website, Learn Jazz Standards.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 625 - A decade-long “marathon distance” project earns six-figures in affiliate commissions for this patient runner
- Ep. 626 - After hosting a popular Super Bowl party, a St. Louis salesman brings his fiery-hot, yet extra-flavorful hot sauce to the market
- Ep. 627 - Not satisfied with the iPhone’s built-in Voice Recorder, a radio host and acting coach creates his own app to help actors rehearse. It goes on to earn more than $500,000
- Ep. 628 - These two friends knew that charisma and confidence were important to success—but the success they create goes far beyond their wildest imaginations. They begin by selling $10 ebooks, and now sell $600 courses every single day
- Ep. 629 - To get some business experience on the cheap, this teacher creates and sells his own bow ties. When he’s ready to move on, he sells the business itself
- Ep. 630 - It’s all smoothies and smooth moves for this dual-role nutritionist from Colorado
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- When this government employee is let go from his job, he stumbles upon a reselling opportunity that would end up helping his family ride the coming recession—and eventually earn six figures in a single year
- Discovering the art of tea-stained prints using publicly available (and free!) art, a Trader Joe’s employee begins earning $3,600 a month selling custom prints online
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
This week, Side Hustle School is brought to you by Crazy Enough to Work, a popular podcast and film series. 📈
When the rest of the world is still zigging, some companies know when it’s time to zag. Elizabeth Banks has teamed up with State Street Global Advisors to make a series of podcasts and films that uncover the bold moves mid-cap companies make to thrive and survive.
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,