Notes from Chris
Episode 351THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: I have a bunch of stuff to share with you today, but first, I'd like to talk about stealing ideas. What happens if someone comes along and steals one of your ideas or designs? What if you have this really great idea, but you're too afraid to say something about it or ask someone about it because you're worried about someone taking it? Maybe it even holds you back from creating a website for it! This question comes up over and over again—as a matter of fact, it came up the last time I was in L.A. for an event. A friend of mine named Harry Campbell (aka "The Rideshare Guy") was also there at the event, and he shared a really insightful analogy with the audience: your idea is 1% of the total value of your side hustle. Everything else—the execution, the implementation, making it happen—that's the 99%. If you too are concerned about someone stealing your side hustle idea, listen to the Weekly Recap to learn more! LISTENER QUESTIONS: Today we have a listener email from James and a listener voicemail from Stephanie:
- James: "Hello, Chris! Last week I found a new reason to re-commit myself to finding a side hustle. I work for a company that lays off a percentage of its staff annually. Every year, come November, I have to say farewell to two or three coworkers that I've been working with for years—it's become an annual holiday tradition. I'm safe following the last one, but I know that it's only a matter of time before my number is up. Having a side hustle (or two or three) would go a long way to relieving the anxiety, the stress, and the survivor's guilt that I've gone through every year. But every time I explore a potential side hustle, my inner critic pops up and lists all the reasons it will never works: "You're not an artist, you know nothing about web marketing, and other people are already doing that, and a lot better than you could." I've tried numerous side hustles in the past and have always failed, which may explain why I don't have the confidence exhibited by the people you highlight on your show. But, I have to remind myself, there's a chance that I only have one more year of my enjoyable, well-paying, benefits-providing job before I find myself on the street.
- Stephanie is a professional artist and designer who has been interested in being an entrepreneur since her high school days of painting murals for friends and family. After getting her BFA at art school, she began working as a graphic designer, and during this time, she started a calligraphy side hustle that has since become her full-time job (growing to six-figures). Despite loving what she's doing now, she can't shake the itch to start something new. She worries that her skill set is too specific and that any new side project would overlap with her day job which could potentially cannibalize and devalue her current job. Should she avoid starting anything similar and instead channel her overactive entrepreneurial urges into something non-art related (but that she may not be as good at)?
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 345 - After getting locked out of his apartment, a software engineer creates a pocket tool that sells 500,000 units and now employs 17 people
- Ep. 346 - An elementary school teacher creates a for-profit service to “whisk away” travelers to surprise destinations
- Ep. 347 - A neuroscientist turned marketing manager moonlights as an artist, selling original papercut designs on Etsy with very little marketing
- Ep. 348 - As a startup, it had $2 million in revenue but $0 in profit. Once it became a side hustle, it had $35,000 in revenue that was almost all profit
- Ep. 349 - A Montreal engineer creates a camera review blog that earns passive affiliate commissions month after month
- Ep. 350 - One woman’s journey from notorious picky eater to health-conscious adventurer of foods enables her to consult other adult picky eaters, resulting in a $500 per month side hustle
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm in the middle of my 100-city book tour. I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- Brisbane, Australia - January 14th
- Melbourne, Australia - January 15th
- Sydney, Australia - January 16th
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A listener success story about a Presbyterian minister who turns to his lifelong interest in role-playing games to set up a sustainable second income source
- After attending a live podcast taping, this longtime side hustler starts a new project that helps people declutter while donating items to local refugees
- A Weekly Recap where we kick things off with a special holiday poem from Side Hustle School
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,