Notes from Chris
Episode 659THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: At the beginning of the week, in Ep. 654, we featured a video game streamer by the name of Doug Veney. He said something I didn't include in the regular episode: Content creation is easier than ever to get into now, but it's harder than ever to stand out." This is like the print-on-demand business—anyone can get started right away. And because of that extremely low barrier to entry, a lot of people are doing it. Most of them aren’t going to be successful, so you want to pay attention to the people that are. And in this industry (it’s strange to call playing video games for a living an industry, but it is), like Doug says, a lot of it comes down to doing it over and over, grinding it out night after night. The second key factor is building quality relationships with all of these people who are watching you. So it’s not easy, in other words, and it’s not a get rich quick plan. But if you have the right spirit and determination, maybe you should follow this model. If not, let this serve as inspiration and a reminder of one of the Side Hustle School principles: there are all kinds of ways to make money! To hear more, check out today's Weekly Recap.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: Today, we have an update from Kristin Berry, who was featured on the show in Ep. 178. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Kristin herself! You can also check out her website, Miss Design Berry.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 653 - A Crossfit trainer and her videographer partner create a healthy meal prep and delivery service, launching it with zero startup costs and growing to nearly $1m in 3 years
- Ep. 654 - Hard work pays off! After three years of streaming video games to an audience of thousands every night, this marketing manager now earns more from his side gig than he does from his day job
- Ep. 655 - After meeting on Tinder, a couple takes a long walk through Central Park and decides to sell cupcakes for $20 each. Surprise: it works
- Ep. 656 - Needing a way to reconnect with her creative side, this IT manager learns to thread her hustle into her life
- Ep. 657 - A modern-day Edison creates a million-dollar product after constantly cleaning up loose hair in his household drains
- Ep. 658 - “They’re all illegal!” As an attorney, she knew that bloggers weren’t following the rules, but it was painfully obvious that nobody else did
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to email@example.com, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- How one man grew his $46 idea into a six-figure monthly sales machine selling beard oil
- This Bay Area transplant started blogging about Napa wines as a creative outlet, but she soon discovered that valley wineries were willing to pay for exposure
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Side Hustle School is brought to you by Logojoy, an online tool that uses artificial intelligence to help you design a beautiful, custom logo.
Try Logojoy today and get 20% off any logo package when you visit logojoy.com/hustle.
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,