Notes from Chris
Episode 120LISTENER Q&A: Our listener questions for this week come to us from Sue and C.J.:
- Sue in Pasadena had some questions regarding our 100th episode about a "renegade" museum tour guide side hustle that brought in more than $2 million in 2016. Mainly: 1. How did the museums react to this new business? 2. Did Nick certify and authorize new guides? 3. How did he teach and evaluate new guides?
- C.J. asks about setting up separate business accounts for your side hustle: If you have multiple side hustles, is it okay to consolidate them to one bank account for all, or does each side hustle need to each have its own separate accounts?
CHRIS'S BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS: Two great books are out this week!
- At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe by Tsh Oxenreider: In this intimate, transporting memoir, Tsh shares the story of how her family spent a rather ordinary nine months in an extraordinary way: circumnavigating the earth to see, firsthand, the places they've always wanted to explore. AMAZON | BARNES & NOBLE | INDIEBOUND
- Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People by Vanessa Van Edwards: Do you wish you could decode people? Do you want a formula for charisma? Do you want to know exactly what to say to your boss, your date or your networking partner? You need to know how people work. In Captivate, Vanessa shares a wealth of valuable shortcuts, systems and behavior hacks for taking charge of their interactions at work, at home, and in any social situation. AMAZON | BARNES & NOBLE | INDIEBOUND
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS WEEK: Here are some quick highlights for each episode this week. Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 114 - A New York-based consultant brews his need for energy into a tea delivery service that offers customers a chance to discover new tea varieties each month. Subscription side hustles are not easy to implement, but it looks like Nick Ehret, the founder of Varieteas, is on the right track to success
- Ep. 115 - In this episode, we take a look at what it means to be authentic in whatever you do, and Michelle has been able to take her need for expression and turn it into a successful side hustle that brings in over $80,000/year
- Ep. 116 - One of my favorite episodes from this week, and I'm not just saying that because they deliver freshly baked cookies right to my front door! A couple from the East Coast serve up hot, out-of-the-oven goodness to the people of Portland, Oregon
- Ep. 117 - A couple brings their love of handmade wooden accessories, technology, and design to life with a side hustle manufacturing handmade wooden desk accessories and phone cases. This story also explores the pros and cons of selling your products on flash sale sites
- Ep. 118 - A mobile yoga studio in L.A. brings this UX designer an additional $40,000 a year working only a few hours each week
- Ep. 119 - A Texas photographer combines his love for art and science fiction to add magic to his photography specializing in cosplay and all things geek. It also allows his wife an opportunity to stay home with their three young children and save up money for a new house
Side Hustle School Live:
Make a plan to start your hustle in 28 days or less.
You need more than one source of income. This in-person workshop (NOT available online) will show you exactly how to set up your first—or your fifth—hustle. We just added two more dates to the lineup for August! Here's where I'll be next:
- Chicago, IL - May 4th
- Boston, MA - May 6th
- Washington, D.C. - June 8th
- Atlanta, GA - June 10th
- Portland, OR - August 19th
- Anaheim, CA - August 20th
Don’t See Your City? Let me know where you live! I’ll use your input to decide on future workshop locations. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A successful food truck, catering, and restaurant business in rural Pennsylvania that springs from jail time and house arrest.
- A story about a Michigan-based dog owner who uses her baking hobby to launch a gourmet, healthy dog treat business.
- How four friends revolutionize the lawn care industry and create a million dollar side hustle in the process.
- Another Extended Cut episode focusing on how you can create your own Simple Marketing Plan
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,