What It's About
A side hustle that's not flushing away any profits!
Words of Wisdom
What's great about this side hustle is that it's not exactly a crowded market! It's also a side hustle that makes sense because if you grow up using the bathroom a certain way, then that’s probably what you’re going to want to do when you move somewhere else.
And the best part is that most people have more than one bathroom, so they buy multiple bidets. This makes the average order at least $140, not $70!
Between Summer 2015 and Summer 2016, Ahmad turned into a "plumber" on evenings and weekends installing bidets. He did this while still having a full-time job as a Senior Technology Consultant at a top global firm. As he said, "it was fun to take on this other persona of a tradesman, blue-collar worker, given that my full-time job was as a white-collar consultant."
Notes from Chris
Episode 562Ahmad Iqbal grew up traveling the world. His father’s work meant his family often moved to foreign countries. Although he was born in Canada, before his 22nd birthday he’d spent time living in Pakistan, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Korea, England, United States, Italy and Dubai. This constant moving gave him a unique perspective of the world, exposed him to new ideas and instilled a maturity beyond that of most kids. That perspective meant he got good at spotting opportunities. Opportunities that most people growing up in a single culture don’t see. By his early twenties, the travel had settled down and Ahmad was no longer being moved around by his family. He’d set up home base in Toronto, Canada. He lived around a lot of immigrant families and this triggered a memory. In all the countries he’d lived, people used the bathroom differently. In North America, we take it for granted that we flush and wipe with toilet paper. However, in many Middle Eastern, European and Asian countries, they use a bidet to tidy up. To describe a bidet, I’ll use Ahmad’s own words; “A bidet is like a mini shower you can use while you’re on the toilet.” He thought it strange that something so fundamental to foreign bathroom habits hadn’t made its way to North America. He decided to find out why and asked his family and friends why they hadn’t installed one. The responses gave him hope:
- 1. It seems hard to install or might require sophisticated plumbing
- 2. They didn’t know they were available
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Nadeef Bidets: Clean up your act! Learn more about Ahmad's handheld bidets over on his website
- Shopify: Ahmad used Shopify to set up his site for Nadeef, and they're offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
- Raven: In addition to keeping the North American masses squeaky clean, Ahmad has also created an app that helps you collect the phone numbers of your best leads and keeps track of the products they were interested in
- Facebook Advertising: Find the right people, capture their attention, and get results
- Alibaba: The platform that Ahmad used to locate a manufacturer for his handheld bidets
- Claire's Facebook Guide: Free beginner's guide to getting started in the world of Facebook Ads
- German Funeral Urns Are Not a Dying Business: Two friends in Germany create a side hustle manufacturing funeral urns that double as personalized works of art
- Woman Sells Hair Grips to Orthodox Jews & Drag Queens: It begins as a product for Orthodox Jewish women. It goes on to serve cancer patients, Broadway performers, and drag queens, earning “fringe benefits” and $4,000/month
Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Side Hustle School is brought to you by Uber—the company determined to improve the ridesharing experience for both riders and drivers.
I've seen a lot of these improvements firsthand, but don't just take my word on it! Read more about all of the ways Uber is moving forward—head on over to Uber.com.🚘
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,