What It's About
Postcards for your enemies, and you know, your frenemies.
Words of Wisdom
Kelly had some really great advice: when you find an idea you like—"Don't say, 'I wish I'd thought of that!' Rather, ask yourself, 'How can I put my own spin on that?' It can seem like every good business idea is already taken, but learning about existing, profitable side hustles can be the most valuable brainstorming tool."
When postcards were first invented, many people saw them as an unacceptable invasion of privacy. Over time, they become much more acceptable—though not usually for the kinds of things that Revenge By Mail features!
Notes from Chris
Kelly M. is a bartender, yoga teacher, and mobile notary in San Diego, California. She’s always had a few different things going on, but until this year she’s never had a side hustle in the form of an online business. Her new project, Revenge By Mail, came about when she heard about a guy who offers shipments of glitter to someone you don’t like or just want to play a joke on. It was such a simple (and low-cost) product. Kelly thought it was brilliant, but she didn’t think it was something she would pay for as a consumer. She would, however, pay money to harmlessly embarrass her “frenemies.” So she took the glitter idea and made it her own. The concept of Revenge by Mail isn’t really about taking revenge on someone. It’s more about playing a prank or joke on someone. Kelly used her rudimentary design skills to create a series of fake promotional postcards. They came from made-up companies and congratulated the recipient in an embarrassing way. For example:
- —From BargainBrides.com: “Congratulations on your mail-order bride, Jim!”
- —From the My Little Pony Friendship Club: “Welcome to our newest member!”
- —From XXL Male Enhancement: “Congratulations, you’ve reached Gold level status. Your package is on the way!”
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Revenge By Mail: Don't get mad—get even! Send your frenemies one of Kelly's quirky and embarassing postcards
- Reddit | Funny Subreddit: The subreddit that Kelly posted a picture of her postcard in that lead to an increase in traffic and sales
- Shopify: Kelly used Shopify to set up her site for Revenge By Mail, and they're offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
- Vistaprint: The platform that Kelly uses to print out all of her postcards
- Internet Trolls Eat Their Words in This Comedic Cake Hustle: After seeing a mean comment on Dolly Parton’s Facebook page, a woman bakes up a hilarious and ironic side hustle
- Designer Turns Bad Parking Into $25,000 Per Year: Ever been annoyed at someone who double-parks? This Los Angeles designer turned his frustration into a novelty gift item with growing sales
- Alcohol Fueled Idea Sells Over 1,500 Shirts in Less Than a Year: After a night at the bar, three friends come up with an idea to add huge pockets to the front of t-shirts
Inspiration is good; inspiration combined with action is better. Now get back to work! Yours in the revolution,
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Side Hustle School is brought to you by Uber—the company determined to improve the ridesharing experience for both riders and drivers.
I've seen a lot of these improvements firsthand, but don't just take my word on it! Read more about all of the ways Uber is moving forward—head on over to Uber.com.🚘
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,