Notes from Chris
Episode 379THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: We had a lot of great stories from this week, but I'd like to begin this weekly recap with some comments from Harry Campbell's ridesharing side hustle in Ep. 375. And if you haven't had an opportunity to check out his story, I highly encourage you to! The short of it is that Harry is an aerospace engineer who started driving for Uber on the side for fun, and he ended up creating a really strong, six-figure business. What I want to focus on—and what really struck me about this—is how his friends and colleagues kind of made fun of him in the beginning of his side hustle journey. They just didn't really get it since he was already making a pretty good living with his day job, but what they didn't understand is that this was about so much more than the money for Harry. He was interested in this from an entrepreneurial standpoint and using it as an opportunity to better understand the industry. And this got me thinking about a common quote that you may or may not have heard before: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." The way you prove someone who doesn't believe in your dream wrong isn’t by arguing with them; it’s by demonstrating. Like I said in that episode, after Harry made $34,000 in three days, what do you think his friends and colleagues thought then? Do you think they still thought it was a pretty stupid idea? Honestly, I bet at least some of them were kicking themselves and asking "why didn't I come up with that first??" Also, if your friends don’t believe in you and your dreams, maybe it's time to find some new friends! LISTENER CALL-INS: Today we have listener emails from Wendy and Daniel and a listener voicemail from Hunter:
- Wendy: What are your thoughts on trying to launch two different side hustles at the same time? Should I launch one first and then the other? They’re both related to music, but they are not complementary products. Would appreciate your advice!
- Daniel: I'm a long time listener of the podcast! I used to find it difficult to listen as I would feel envious of the stories and be hard on myself for not doing more, but recently I started selling mystery boxes on eBay. It started as a joke but ended up making $300 in the two weeks leading to Christmas. I wouldn't have even thought to try it without you and now I have a whole new perspective as I listen. Thank you and keep up the good work!
- Hunter's question is short and sweet—as a self-employed entrepreneur, how do you know how to divide your time between your main business and your new side hustle project?
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 373 - When he found himself in need of making car repairs, this student bought a $25 microphone and recorded a course in “ethical hacking.” The course has now served more than 80,000 paid customers
- Ep. 374 - A shift in mindset leads a long-time Etsy seller to focus on replicable items that earn passive income
- Ep. 375 - A Boeing employee earns $34,000 referring drivers to Lyft, then sets out to become an industry expert. His site now earns six-figures annually and receives hundreds of thousands of visitors each month
- Ep. 376 - A retail manager from Kansas reactivates his craftsman skills of long ago to create stages for miniature movie figures. There’s money in them there collectables!
- Ep. 377 - Two NYC financial sector employees decide to make socks and rescue gorillas
- Ep. 378 - After making it through a high-risk pregnancy of her own, a clinical therapist creates resources for other women experiencing the same struggle
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm in the middle of my 100-city book tour. I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- Brisbane, Australia - January 14th
- Melbourne, Australia - January 15th
- Sydney, Australia - January 16th
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Join the Side Hustle Society!
Throughout 2017, I've been saying that the Side Hustle Society is coming, and well...we launched it this past week!!
This online training program is designed to take you step by step through starting a side hustle project of your own, and it's also going to be an online community where you can connect with other side hustlers, make introductions, and get peer feedback.
Tuesday is the last day to take advantage of this limited time, introductory price, so visit our Society pageif you're interested in being a part of a strong and supportive side hustle community!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,