What It's About
A Salt Lake City man takes his passion for good workplace coffee and shares it with other offices all around the US.
Words of Wisdom
In an attempt to streamline the process, Ben began using an automated Instagram engagement tool which brought in some customers, but most of the comments posted by the bot were placed on completely irrelevant posts. It felt inauthentic and just wasn’t really working with the brand. Ben learned that, for the most part, social media marketing needs to be personal, it needs to be consistent, and you just have to be willing to grind it out sometimes.
Americans consume approximately 400 million cups of coffee per day, which is the equivalent of 146 billion cups of coffee per year. That makes the United States the leading consumer of coffee in the world, and coffee represents 75% of all the caffeine consumed in the United States. Also, Seattle (home of Starbucks) has 10 times more coffee stores per 100,000 residents than the United States has overall—whoa! [SOURCE]
Notes from Chris
Episode 306Ben Martinez was the Vice President of HR for a high-performing tech company in Salt Lake City, Utah. His strategies lead to a large amount of growth in the company, his team was succeeding, and overall, he was becoming well-respected in his field. But something wasn’t quite right. After 20 years in corporate America, Ben was struggling to feel that same exhilaration he was once familiar with. He slowly found himself less engaged in his day job and more fascinated by one of his passions. Coffee. Rich, delicious, fresh coffee. Ben was itching to try something new, so he started brainstorming ways to combine his love for great coffee and his business savviness. And he found one. To his utter dismay, coffee in the workplace was often ordered as an add-on alongside printer paper and staples by office managers who either didn’t drink coffee at all or couldn’t differentiate between high quality and low quality coffee even if they did. Ben was floored—how could anyone be expected to do their best work when the coffee was flavorless and stale? But even when the underwhelming quality of the coffee was addressed, they were stumped as to where to find better coffee. That’s when he thought—what if he could create a quality-centric coffee subscription for workplaces that was not only affordable but easy to get as well? With this model, not only could he satisfy the business with simple, affordable delivered coffee—it would also keep their employees positively swimming in freshly roasted, high quality beans. And, thanks to the subscription model, he would have a predictable cash flow each month. In less than a year in business, Sumato Coffee generates over $1,500 in monthly revenue, with about $600 in monthly profit. Business continues to pick up, however, and with the onboarding of a partner with experience in e-commerce business, Ben's confident that Sumato Coffee will continue to grow and thrive.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Sumato Coffee: Be your office's hero—check out Ben's workplace subscription service on his website!
- Recharge, Buffer, & MailChimp: Three of the platforms that Ben used to manage customers, social media, and email marketing (respectively)
- Artemis Health: The Salt Lake City tech company that became one of Ben's first customers
- Secret Tech Sauce Talent: Ben's up and coming recruiting and consulting firm that specializes in talent acquisition, employer branding, technology, core HR services, etc.
- Fire Roasted Coffee Dreams Lead to Big Beans: When searching high and low for fresh roasted coffee leaves a father in the Yukon with an empty mug, he starts making it himself and creates a side hustle caffeinating the masses
- “Mommee Coffee” Becomes a $20,000/Month Side Hustle: Tired of the guilt associated with consuming coffee while pregnant and breastfeeding, a biomechanical engineer creates a line of coffee bean options that keep Mom happy and baby healthy
- Boring Desk Job Leads to $14,000/month Coffee Pod Biz: When a British man wonders why he can’t find Nespresso pods in other flavors, his curiosity leads to a pod-tacular side hustle that earns a full-time income
Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Get a FREE Audiobook from Audible!
Audible is offering SHS listeners a free copy of the Born For This audiobook with a 30-day trial membership. 📚
Just go to aonc.co/bftaudible and browse the unmatched selection of audio programs and start listening.
Get it Here
Like the Show? Leave a Rating!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,