What It's About
A college student creates a successful cleaning service with an emphasis on customer service.
Words of Wisdom
Think Maids offers simple online booking, easy cancellations and rescheduling, and the ability for clients to share special cleaning instructions. The company is also easy to contact by phone, email, or even text... and they try to respond within 3-5 minutes. This has a ton of value for customers and potential customers, and it's great for repeat business.
Christopher says the best part of this experience is having enough time to do the things that he wants to do. Since business has picked up, he has worked hard on automating and delegating as much as he can. He even took a 10-day trip to Japan in November and was happy to see that his business didn’t burn down while he was away.
Notes from Chris
If you've been following the show, you've probably heard me discuss the Power of Observation and how important it can be in the world of side hustles. A popular method that we've seen in other episodes is to look at the service you use on a regular basis and notice things that can be improved. In today's story, a college student recognizes major flaws in the cleaning industry and offers a more customer service-driven alternative that brings in around $20,000 a month. Oh, and he’s also able to take off and go to Japan for a week, and not have to worry about the business at all. Cleaning companies are a substantial industry with each market offering numerous options, but many of them are unreliable and have hidden costs. Even as a student, Christopher Schwab saw a huge demand for transparent, high-quality cleaning services, and he believed he could fix many of the complaints people had about cleaning companies. Focusing on addressing the three biggest problems with the industry—reliability, the hassle involved with booking, and lack of honesty or integrity—he created his cleaning service, Think Maids. He has now built it into a full-time job that allows him the freedom to travel and do the things he wants to do. Your assignment: Make a list of all the businesses and industries that you think could be improved. How would you fix them? MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Think Maids: Learn more about Christopher's customer service oriented cleaning service
- Thumbtack:A service Christopher used that connects people to pros across multiple industries
- Google Adwords: If you're interested in A/B testing and experimenting with different ad styles (among other things)
- Nextdoor: A private social network for your physical neighborhood and community
- The Craigslist Wedding Photographer: A California government employee becomes a part-time wedding photographer by posting an ad on Craigslist.
- 17-Year Old Canadian Makes $7,000 from Holiday Pop-Up Shop: Having grown up with an interest in entrepreneurship, a high school student starts a holiday pop-up shop that earns $7,000 in just one month.
- Chicago Psychotherapist Becomes Ceremonial Wedding Officiant: After being featured on TLC, a Chicago psychotherapist and marriage counselor becomes a ceremonial wedding officiant.
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,