What It's About
Two friends are bringing silverback with their social good sock side hustle!
Words of Wisdom
Launching and running Gorilla Socks has forced Gianluca to diversify his skill set and learn about aspects of running a business he would never have needed to know about in his 9-5 job. It’s also greatly expanded his network and greatly improved his problem-solving skills. Every day there’s a new challenge, whether it’s designing new socks or converting more customers, but the support for the brand and the cause keeps him going.
While visiting their partners at the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund at the Atlanta Zoo, Gianluca decided to bring his young son and wife along with him. His son was struck by how loving the gorillas were and couldn’t stop talking about the monkeys (he’s too young to know the difference). Since that day at the zoo, his son calls him "Monkey." Maybe he sees the similarity between gorillas and humans—plus Gianluca does have a beard!
Notes from Chris
Episode 377Gianluca De Stefano’s side hustle involves both socks and gorillas. You might be wondering how those two things are related, but to Gianluca and his business partner, Gavin Kamara, the connection was clear. The idea came to them one day in 2015 while they were riding bikes along the Hudson River. They’d known each other since they were roommates in college. Starting a side hustle was something they’d talked about for years, but they didn’t have a specific idea to launch them on their way. During this bike ride, Gavin mentioned that he’d just been reading about bamboo fibers. He was intrigued to learn that bamboo fibers are eco-friendly because bamboo is the fastest growing plant in the world, and it requires 1/3 the water needed to grow cotton. Beyond the environmental factors, bamboo fibers are also antibacterial. They’re also great at thermoregulation—so bamboo fabric keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. With all these great features and their shared love of socks, Gianluca and Gavin thought that bamboo fibers would make excellent socks. But they didn’t just want to own a sock shop. They both had good jobs in finance, so starting a side hustle wasn’t just about earning extra money. They wanted to have fun and do good with their business. They wanted their brand to give back. So they knew from the start that they wanted to partner with a nonprofit organization and donate a percentage of profits. But before they could give back, they needed something to give. Specifically, they needed a product. So they set about doing some market research. They had noticed that business attire in the corporate world, in both New York and London, had slowly become more relaxed. Fewer men were wearing ties, and more were using socks as a way to differentiate their style. So they wanted to tap into that market, in a more sustainable way, using bamboo fibers. Since launching Gorilla Socks in October 2016, sales have increased month by month. They’ve made more than $10,000, but so far are investing most profits back into the business, in addition to making multiple donations to the Gorilla Fund. For Gianluca and Gavin, that’s been the best part so far—knowing that they’re contributing to something bigger than themselves, creating a brand built on possibility, and finally building the venture they’d long talked of.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Gorilla Socks: Learn more about Gianluca and Gavin's sock manufacturing side hustle and check out their lineup on their website
- Shopify: Gianluca and Gavin used Shopify to set up their store for Gorilla Socks, and they're offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
- Alibaba: The platform that Gianluca and Gavin used to locate a manufacturer for their bambook fiber socks
- Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund: The charity that Gorilla Socks donates to that takes great steps towards protecting and studying gorillas while helping communities build their conservation capabilities
- Alibaba 101: How to safely source products from the world's biggest supplier directory
- Detroit Women Make Jewelry for Profit and Social Good: An attorney starts a jewelry company with purpose, employing disadvantaged women in Detroit to help them transition from a life of dependence into one of self-reliance
- Every Dog Has Its Side Hustling Day: Two sisters team up to create a side business with a social good component. It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there… are you working on your hustle?
- Yoga Teacher Cleans Up with Home Organizing Business: After attending a live podcast taping, this longtime side hustler starts a new project that helps people declutter while donating items to local refugees.
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,