Notes from Chris
Episode 148WEEKLY CHECK-IN: Each week, there will be a new question and an opportunity for you to share your side hustle journey on the show! I've had a lot of people ask about side hustle failure stories, so I want to know—what has been your biggest side hustle failure? To send in your response either leave me a voice message, call our Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), or make a voice memo on your phone and email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
LISTENER Q&A: Our listener questions for this week come to us from Libby in San Diego and Gavin in Victoria:
- Like many of our listeners, Libby has a passion project, and she decided to use a platform that she heard about in a previous episode to make money for it. Unfortunately, this has had the opposite effect and has been an expensive venture. She's also not really driven enough to reach a point where it's making a profit either, so she's wondering whether she should stick with it and give it a year or abandon it entirely.
- Gavin is looking to take his artwork and photography to the next level by putting it on t-shirts, mugs, and canvas, but he's having a really difficult time getting an online presence. He often finds that he's so consumed with perfecting every aspect of his website that it's challenging to focus on the bigger picture and is looking for guidance.
CHRIS' RECOMMENDATIONS: If you're artistically inclined like Gavin in one of today's listener questions, here are a couple of resources to help you reach a larger audience online.
- Society6: If you're artistically inclined, Society6 may fit the bill. You can sell your designs on a variety of items including laptop sleeves and travel mugs
- Shopify: Shopify is offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners
- Ep. 142 - In this episode, we feature a teacher who used a starter platform to save up enough money to almost completely fund her honeymoon, and it's a great example of how your income on the side can go toward something fun or different from just paying your regular bills
- Ep. 143 - Tired of battling split ends and hair breakage, a fashion and lifestyle blogger switches to satin pillowcases. She then learns to make and sell her own, earning six-figures annually
- Ep. 144 - If you've ever wondered how to use Facebook Ads to further your business, you'll definitely want to check out this episode featuring an online marketing pro who helps an orthodontist bring in 13 new patients and $65K in new revenue spending only $500
- Ep. 145 - A unique delivery service side hustle featuring a university employee who uses her logistical savvy to deliver IKEA enthusiasts their goods at greatly reduced rates
- Ep. 146 - A Kansas City-area mom and her 10-year-old son invent an unconventional (but essential) product for young male athletes that brings in more than $5,000 a month
- Ep. 147 - A love of 1920s-style photography allows a Texas woman to leave her day job and bring in multiple six-figures with classic “recreations” of a faraway time
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS WEEK: Here are some quick highlights for each episode this week. Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
Side Hustle School Live:
Make a plan to start your hustle in 28 days or less.
You need more than one source of income. This in-person workshop (NOT available online) will show you exactly how to set up your first—or your fifth—hustle. We just added two more dates to the lineup for August! Here's where I'll be next:
- Washington, D.C. - June 8th
- Atlanta, GA - June 10th
- Portland, OR - August 19th
- Anaheim, CA - August 20th
Don’t See Your City? Let me know where you live! I’ll use your input to decide on future workshop locations. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A side hustler who moonlights as a balloon artist
- A couple in Canada who help other Americans immigrate to the Great White North with their informative e-book based on their research
- How a search for the perfect engagement ring leads a software engineer in Baltimore on a mission to discover the logarithm for the ideal sparkly diamond. Along the way, he creates an affiliate side hustle with major potential.
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,