Notes from Chris
Episode 414THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: Let's talk about profit margins! We had an episode (Ep. 412) a couple of days ago about artificial flowers for wedding ceremonies. I mentioned towards the end of the episode how this was really great because once he acquired his inventory he essentially has 100% profit margins—at least compared to a traditional florist who has to acquire these flowers over and over again on a daily basis. If you're curious about what your profit margins should be, check out the recap to learn more!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 408 - A Chicago-based architect makes access to classical literature easier for readers, raising $50,000 on Kickstarter along the way
- Ep. 409 - A sales agency manager transforms his frustration with online golf advice into a thriving niche website generating $5,000 in monthly income
- Ep. 410 - After receiving a “lame” marriage proposal, this former contractor sets up shop helping others create memorable proposal stories. Last year, she made a lot of people happy… and she also made $450,000
- Ep. 411 - This freelance illustrator did design work for Google and Nickelodeon, but after giving a talk at his church he decides to start a podcast—which now earns up to $70,000 a year on the side
- Ep. 412 - This project manager was astonished at how expensive a wedding could be. After shelling out a lot of money for his own, he starts a service to help engaged couples save thousands
- Ep. 413 - In need of cash to pay for a medical emergency, a Utah man experiments with creating and selling online design courses
Join the Side Hustle Society!
We've already launched our first iteration of the Side Hustle Society, and if you missed round one, round two is coming very soon!
This online training program is designed to take you step by step through starting a side hustle project of your own, and it's also going to be an online community where you can connect with other side hustlers, make introductions, and get peer feedback.
We'll be opening round two on Tuesday, February 27th, so visit our Society page if you're interested in being a part of a strong and supportive side hustle community!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- Frustrated with climbing the corporate ladder, a marketer finds adventure waiting for her at the bottom when she starts a travel planning service for women
- She only needs to make $3,000. But when she turns to a side hustle to fill the French Bulldog shaped hole in her life, she ends up making six-figures
- And so much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,