Notes from Chris
Episode 232LISTENER Q&A: This week we have listener questions from Sarah in Ottawa, Canada and Randy in San Mateo, CA:
- Sarah is looking to start a side hustle as a copywriter because she loves to write and uses it in her current day job in the health field. She's heard that LinkedIn is a great resource for copywriters, but she's hesitant to use it for this purpose because she's not sure if it would be appropriate for her to add that she's starting a side hustle as a copywriter while working at her day job. Her question—what is the proper etiquette for someone managing a side hustle with a full-time job?
- Randy is having issues finding enough people to Beta test his app, and he's wondering what kind of resources are available to someone looking for people to test out their service. For those of you who may not have caught it, we actually featured Randy and his side hustle back in Ep. 154. I think this is a great project that could benefit from traditional PR like Helpareporter.com.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 226 - A Starbucks employee with a love for Pacific Northwest beer stumbles upon a profitable endeavor helping breweries become compliant with website age verification
- Ep. 227 - No, it’s not a lop-sided story: this college student pays her way through school by raising rabbits. Hop to it!
- Ep. 228 - Upon losing her job, this Washington, DC government analyst and fashion lover didn’t panic… she started a side hustle
- Ep. 229 - A man grows a beard, and the rest is history. We weren’t sure about this bearded side hustling story, but then it grew on us
- Ep. 230 - Introducing the high-end toothbrush with low startup costs: this man earns $1,000 a month on the side. Total startup costs were just $760!
- Ep. 231 - A new mother starts a magazine about bravery and vulnerability
Side Hustle Publication Countdown:
In 29 days (September 19th!), my new book, Side Hustle, will launch—and I can’t wait to share it with you!
The book builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
MORE NEWS IS COMING SOON, BUT FOR NOW:
- You can pre-order the book from your choice of retailers including your favorite local bookstore, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBooks, or anywhere else you’d prefer. If you pre-order, save your receipt (digital or physical)—I’ll have a special bonus for you later.
- Join the Street Team and be part of the launch!
- I’ll be doing a 100-city tour throughout the U.S., Canada, U.K., and then eventually the rest of the world. If you represent a company, organization, co-working space, or similar that would like to host an event, let me know.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A media producer receives national attention when she tries her hand at making edible fidget spinner cookies
- A marketing director for a Connecticut health facility converts her passion for unique, vintage finds into a reselling side hustle
- Low overhead and minimal time commitments earn big avocados for a geofilter marketing service
- In the face of adversity, a woman creates a series of online courses teaching the art of baking sourdough bread. Stop loafing around! If she can do it, you can too
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,