Notes from Chris
Episode 1065THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: We’ve just finished week 48 of Season III This week featured a Tuscan vacation that inspires a leatherworking hustle, a book lover who ships out YA novels for fun and profit, an engineer who stumbles into a custom cartography business, and more! Let’s jump right in to something big and exciting... I want you to be the first to know a big announcement:
- - Some context: we are now at episode 1,065(!) of what was originally a big undertaking to do 365 days in a row
- - Longterm listeners may know that at the end of the first year - and then the second - I was encouraged, inspired, and challenged to keep going. So here we are and I want to first honor everyone who’s been part of this community (that is how I think of it). You are amazing and I’m really honored to be a small part of your world every day or however you choose to listen
- - If we ended tomorrow, or at the end of December, I think we could say that we’ve done a pretty cool thing. I hear from listeners every single week if not every day who have drawn on the stories in the show to start projects of their own. It’s literally one of my favorite things in the world to hear
- - But does this mean it’s winding down?? Until about a month ago, I was torn. I do like doing it, but I also tend to do my best work when I’m pioneering something, not maintaining it.
- - So I kept going back and forth … it’s a good thing, but I want to always give my best … to keep it short, after a lot of back and forth, I found what I think is not just a modification, but an improvement. In talking with the team, they’re excited too.
- * Real-time coaching throughout the year (you can follow along with listeners who are working on their projects)
- * A CLASSROOM series that builds from January to December
- * Several days a week that are all listener questions and answers
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: Today, we have an update from Callie. Ep. 432, Call Center Employee Uses Patreon to Fund LGBTQ Podcasts. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Callie! Learn more about Callie's mission over on their podcast pages, The Gaytheist Manifesto & The Queer side. Also consider supporting Callie's work at The Gaytheist Manifesto Patreon Page.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 1059 - Geologist Rides Away From Full-Time Work : A Canadian geologist escapes the “cycle” of full-time employment by starting a mobile bicycle repair business, proving you can walk the walk if you talk the torque.
- Ep. 1060 - Tuscan Vacation Inspires Leatherworking Hustle: When an engineering company manager books a vacation to Italy, he figures he’ll return with limoncello and olive oil—but he also ends up bringing back a profitable love for leatherworking.
- Ep. 1061 - Expectant Mom Gives Birth To Organic Products Business: A soon-to-be mom takes control of the ingredients that go into her body, giving birth to a new business in the process.
- Ep. 1062 - Engineer Stumbles Into Custom Cartography Business: After encounter resistance with previous attempts at ecommerce, an engineer finds success in a laser engraving hustle.
- Ep. 1063 - Book Lover Ships Out Fantasies for Profit: An avid reader from Michigan turns her passion into income with two fairytale profit centers.
- Ep. 1064 - Librarian Turns In Card for Booking Speaking Gigs: A Canadian librarian uses her experience in conducting trainings to coach others in creating powerful presentations.
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Starting Jan. 1, 2020, we'll have dedicated episodes for Q&A.
Go to the following link and leave us your question.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A short-term holdover project between jobs becomes a seven-figure empire, all built on dog collars.
- This yoga teacher offers classes just the way nature intended. No need to pack any exercise clothes for the workout!
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,