What It's About
How the Fulfilled by Amazon program helps a family bring in a passive income while they travel the world.
Words of Wisdom
In order to get a feel for the Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) model, Nathan and Kathrin started out selling a product that they were familiar with—water filters. Once they got the hang of how the FBA model worked, they expanded their offers to include a ceramic pan that they stumbled on while traveling in Italy.
If you want to launch your own product-based side hustle, start out with something that you're familiar with so that there are fewer unknown variables.
Worried that selling cookware is just a flash in the pan? Well, according to an Ibisworld report, Kitchen and Cookware is a $15 billion business and is growing around 2% every year. Doesn’t look like it’ll be sizzling out anytime soon.
Notes from Chris
Episode 170At the end of 2015, Nathan and Kathrin Spaccarelli decided they wanted a different life for themselves and their children. After selling everything they owned and taking a year-long sabbatical from work, they’d returned from traveling with a completely different ‘why.’ While they were proud of their coffee business and everything they’d build back in Oregon, nothing could compare to the rich experiences of exploring the world as a family. Since they were determined to create something that would allow them to be location independent, Nathan spent every free moment he could researching... and one day he stumbled upon a podcast called The Amazing Seller that focused on how to start a profitable and mostly passive Amazon business. On their around the world trip, they’d picked up a healthy, non-stick ceramic pan at a market in Italy and brought it back with them to America. Even with months of use (Nathan absolutely loves to cook!), they were still getting great results and felt this would be a perfect addition to their FBA endeavors. They launched their cooking line in 2016 under the name DaTerra Cucina—literally translated as from the ground kitchen due to the all-natural, volcanic minerals used to create the non-stick coating on their pans. They managed to make over $200,000 in sales by the end of their first year in business, and after the first quarter of 2017, they’d already cleared $85,000 in sales, putting them on track for an even more profitable year than their last. This has allowed them to invest in more inventory and grow their business by adding three more sizes of pan to be introduced by the end of the year. MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- DaTerra Cucina: Check out Nathan and Kathrin Spaccarelli's ceramic pans on their website
- IBISWorld | Kitchen & Cookware Market Research: A market research report that offers insightful industry analysis and research into the kitchen and cookware market at the national level
- Alibaba: The platform that Nathan and Kathrin used to locate a manufacturer for their water filters
- The Amazing Seller: The podcast that helped Nathan launch his own profitable and mostly passive Amazon business
- Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA): The model that the Spaccarellis used that allowed them to pass on the responsibility of keeping stock and shipping out orders
- PDX Food Dude | DaTerra Cucina Vesuvio Ceramic Coated Skillet Review: A review Nathan and Kathrin's ceramic pan received from a local food critic and blogger in Portland, OR
- How To Find a Manufacturer or Supplier for Your Product Idea: Learn more about how you can find a manufacturer for your product
- Alibaba 101: How to safely source products from the world's biggest supplier directory
- Clothing Store Salesman Invents Baby Harness, Earns $100k Per Year: An innovative salesman creates a baby harness that benefits both parent and child, all the while creating a six-figure side income for himself
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Side Hustle School is brought to you by Thumbtack. From house painting to personal training, Thumbtack makes it easy to find exactly what you’re looking no matter what project is on your list.
Download the app or try it now at Thumbtack.com 📌
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,