Notes from Chris
Episode 484THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: In today's recap, I talk about going from $1,000 to $5,000/month. Growing your business is easier than starting your business. Once something works a little, it’s not nearly as hard (most of the time) to make it work more. And by “work” I mean make more money. It also doesn’t mean you need to expend twice as much (or five times as much) effort. In today's recap, we discuss the two best ways to grow—listen to the Weekly Recap to learn more! LISTENER UPDATES + QUESTIONS: This week, we received a listener email from a side hustler named Terri:
- Terri: "I just listened to your Side Hustle School weekly recap where you answered a question from Houston in Nashville about his student loan debt idea. Every podcast I listen to I try to write down what nugget of wisdom I get from it. Today my nugget was that it’s not enough to want to help someone in the same situation as me—but in order to monetize it, I need to provide something more tangible like an answer to the problem. I wrote a blog through my breast cancer treatment, which led me to wanting to create a program to help survivors to find their joy again. I’ve been trying to figure out what that looks like but getting stuck at the implementation stage. This past week I redid my blog and formatted it for when I have a program to sell, but what I realized today after your podcast is that my story isn’t enough. It’s valid, and it’s good background for my plan, and it validates my “expertness” but it’s not what I need to sell and market. Thanks for the spin that helped point my compass in a better direction!"
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 478 - After looking for a way to send mass emails by Gmail, this web developer stumbles on more than a million dollars a year in recurring revenue
- Ep. 479 - After getting fit with a customized training program, this enterprising college student now provides coaching services, using a popular fitness app to generate leads
- Ep. 480 - After visiting 50 countries, a flight attendant and her pilot husband create an income-generating project to teach kids about the world
- Ep. 481 - A man in Australia spends a year eating nothing but potatoes to conquer his food addiction. Along the way, he loses 121 pounds and gains a $1,500 a month side hustle
- Ep. 482 - This New York DJ wants to rock and roll all night... and party every day. After he mixes recordings from classic rock and roll songs, he sells the packaged shows to international music markets
- Ep. 483 - A former engineer turns a 3-month backpacking trip into three side hustles that make exploring Kenya more accessible for travelers
Join me at the World Domination Summit!
Have you heard of the World Domination Summit? This is a gathering of awesome people—an event that I've been hosting together with an amazing team in Portland, OR every summer for the past eight years.
WDS 2018 is coming up at the end of June (June 26th-July 2nd), and we'll be welcoming people from over 30 different countries. With inspiring keynote speakers, a week full of activities and attendee-led meetups, and two incredible parties, you won't want to miss it!
This is our final wave of main stage tickets so visit our website to get your ticket to this incredible, once a year event! We promise that it's unlike anything you've ever experienced before.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A graphic designer and pet lover unleashes a side hustle that earns $84,000 a year. You'll want to dog-ear this episode!
- A doctor with a voice worth listening to teaches himself the art of voiceover, then goes on to earn thousands of dollars working for some of the world’s biggest brands
- And so much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,