What It's About
A man reads the opportunity in typos and grammatical errors.
Words of Wisdom
If you think that you may like to do something like this, Lenny had this to say:
"Read, and read a lot. Notice what you're reading. Don't just gloss over sentences but really make that little voice in your head say every word of every sentence. If you read enough, you'll begin to notice errors in the content. Then comes the hardest part, actually reaching out and convincing people they need somebody to read and edit their content for them before they hit the publish button."
Lenny started with the owners of the blogs that he was already reading. He chose his favorite and, after a few deep breaths, finally built up the courage to write to her. She responded quite quickly but wasn’t interested. Refusing to be defeated, Lenny saw a positive in the fact she’d replied, and moved onto the next blogger.
When it comes to pitching Lenny has a simple formula: be honest, be nice, don’t waste their time and add value.
Notes from Chris
For TV Director Lenny Bron, it was time to do something about his personal finances. After a few years of neglect, they’d become a bit of a mess and he was determined to get them back on track. He decided he would start reading personal finance blogs and applying their principles right away. He became a regular reader of sites like Mr. Money Mustache and Budgets Are Sexy, before making his way into the darker reaches of the blogosphere to find lesser known bloggers too. Whilst reading so many blogs, Lenny began to notice all of these writers occasionally suffered from the same problem: typos and grammatical errors would find their way into their blog posts, and they’d still be there days, months, weeks or even years after the article was posted. It was a shame, he thought, that bloggers with such good content could be let down by such a small mistake. He’s hypersensitive to grammatical errors. But it was in this problem that he saw an opportunity to improve his personal finances and help these bloggers improve their work. Since he was going to be reading the articles anyway, he could offer to proofread them for a small fee, and that way his favorite bloggers could post their work live with full confidence. Lenny decided to brand himself as The Blog Proofreader and bought the domain name for this brand the same day through HostGator. He didn’t employ any designers and instead used one of HostGator’s free templates to create a landing page for his site. It’s short and simple, but Leon likes that it gets right to the point. A combination of strong pitching and decent exposure has helped Lenny to earn around $1,000 extra per month for proofreading blog posts!
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The Blog Proofreader: Check out Lenny's site to learn more about the proofreading service that he offers to bloggers!
- Budgets Are Sexy, Mr. Money Mustache, & Afford Anything: Some of the blogs that Lenny frequented and reached out to when he decided to launch his proofreading series
- HostGator: The web hosting platform that Lenny used to set up the website for The Blog Proofreader
- Feedly & Rockstar Finance: The two tools that Lenny uses to find new potential customers
- Charter Bus Employee Creates PR Service for Bloggers: How a digital marketer created something for himself, then decided to try selling it other people who had the same needs. He now makes more than $2,500 a month from this side project
- Indian Personal Finance Blogger Rings Up $4,000/Month: Writing about money-saving hacks and passive income for readers in India yields big money for a software company employee
- Blogger Shifts From Products to Sponsorships, Makes $82,000: Sometimes a shift is all you need to get on the right track. This blogger was able to get out of debt and make $82,000 last year while working two hours a day before and after his real job
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Social media is nice, but building an email list is still the single best way to get customers and clients for your hustle. It's not hard to get started—sign up for a 30-day trial and join the list-building challenge! You’ll be up and running in no time.
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by LegalZoom. ⚖️
Visit LegalZoom.com today to get special savings on services to help you launch your side hustle—add "HUSTLE" in the promo box at checkout.
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,