Notes from Chris
Episode 400THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: Today's recap explores a question that has been coming up a few different times. We've had a number of episodes featuring side hustlers who are manufacturing something from factories overseas, often doing some kind of customization or personalization, and putting a private label on it. The common question that comes up with this is "well, how do you find these manufacturers?" I got a listener call-in message recently that I think explores this question really well, so listen to the recap for more on this concept. LISTENER QUESTIONS & UPDATES: Today we have a listener question from Jessica:
- Jessica has been wanting to launch a print on demand side hustle for a while now, but she's overwhelmed with all of the platforms that she can use for something like this. How do you know which ones are real—which you can trust? If you're like Jessica and are looking to manufacture something for a print on demand side hustle, I'd recommend using Alibaba (check out their free trade assurance) to locate a manufacturer that you can trust will give you what you pay for. It may also be worth looking into this Alibaba 101 Guide from Shopify that gives you detailed steps that will allow you to safely source products from the world's biggest supplier directory. And for further examples of manufacturing side hustles, check out episodes 390, 394, and 398!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 394 - Men’s overalls that double as sweatpants: yes, this is a thing—and an experiment to sell them brings in $64,000
- Ep. 395 - A runner decides to create his own relay race, and then a marathon. Three years later he works full-time on producing 5 annual races
- Ep. 396 - Turn up the heat! An electrical engineer becomes the cover model for an indie romance series. This leads to a side gig that pays an additional $20-50,000 a year
- Ep. 397 - After leaving her day job to care for a new child, a music therapist also creates a new source of income
- Ep. 398 - Tired of look-alike flag patches, this carpenter and frequent traveler creates his own designs based on a modern style with a nod toward 1920s luxury travel
- Ep. 399 - In search of a way to improve his personal finances, this TV producer discovers a profitable project helping bloggers rid their posts of grammatical errors
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!)
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- After seeing a mean comment on Dolly Parton’s Facebook page, a woman bakes up a hilarious and ironic side hustle
- After answering the same questions over and over, this freelance writer opens an online school to help others break into the business
- After two friends create a podcast for fun, it turns into a side hustle that generates $100,000 in its first year, multiple six-figures in year two, and a book deal in year three
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by LegalZoom. ⚖️
Visit LegalZoom.com today to get special savings on services to help you launch your side hustle—add "HUSTLE" in the promo box at checkout.
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,