What It's About
Lost property helps a UK woman find her side hustle.
Words of Wisdom
Glastonbury's lost and found was based on email submissions of items and was technically difficult to navigate. Tanya felt there had to be another, more efficient way of handling the problem, so she decided to give it a shot!
There are plenty of opportunities to improve upon inefficient services or products, but like Tanya, you need a fine tuned Power of Observation in order to find them.
Did you know more than $47 billion worth of items are lost every year, with the average person losing nearly $100 in property every year? That’s a big market of highly motivated people!
Notes from Chris
On her annual pilgrimage to Glastonbury Festival in 2014, Tanya-Jane Park checked her social media feed to see that one of her friends had posted that she’d lost her handbag containing all her belongings while inside the festival. Trying to be helpful, Tanya recommended that she report her bag to the official lost and found service, and set about finding out how her friend could do it. On her return from the festival, Tanya took it upon herself to find what other options were out there and saw there were relatively few to choose from. And some of them seemed older than some of the bands she’d seen on stage just a few days ago! It was here that she came up with the idea for ReclaimHub, a cloud-based lost-and-found management system. Using only this method of organic traffic—and a little word of mouth—they were able to generate enough users to get feedback and finally launch the paid version of their product in May 2016. Since that time they’ve been able to generate £6,000 in revenue.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- ReclaimHub: Learn more about how Tanya and Rob's widget works on their website
- Glastonbury Festival: The festival that Tanya's friend lost her purse at and where Tanya found her side hustle
- Google Cloud Platform: Tanya and Rob used a simple Google Cloud Infrastructure site that they built themselves, they put the first iteration online so that people could use it for free
- Freelancer & UpWork: If you're interested in creating an app or widget but lack the skills to create it yourself like Tanya, here are a couple of resources you could use to find someone to help you create it!
- 40,000 People Use This Web Developer's Side Hustle Every Day: How a San Francisco commuter became part of the original iPhone launch with a hustle that now helps more than 40,000 people every day
- Spanish-Language Bible App Generates 1 Million Downloads: Opportunity knocks for a Utah accountant and leads to a fortuitous side hustle making $70,000 in one year with a $0.99 app
- Diamond in the Rough: Engagement Ring Hunt Turns Into Hustle: A search for the perfect engagement ring leads a software engineer in Baltimore on a mission to discover the algorithm for the ideal sparkly diamond. Along the way, he creates an affiliate side hustle with major potential
Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Social media is nice, but building an email list is still the single best way to get customers and clients for your hustle. It's not hard to get started—sign up for a 30-day trial and join the list-building challenge! You’ll be up and running in no time.
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,