Notes from Chris
Episode 505THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: Why is it problematic to say “Just get started…”? Because getting started is necessary but not sufficient. It’s like saying “All you need is luck and a million dollars”—both would be nice, but you can’t control either of those things. What can you control? Getting started and then showing up. Real successes—lasting, enduring, life-changing, quit your job kind of successes usually require both getting started and then sticking with it. Last week I talked about Kathleen Shannon, the co-founder of Being Boss (check out Ep. 404), and she's a fantastic example of this. One of the things she prides herself on is that in three years, they’ve never missed an episode, and that's because once they started, they kept working at it. And as for the drone side hustle in Ep. 500, it could have been a small success. It’s a big success not just because they started but also because once they’d started, they also made a plan and then stuck with it. So yes—just get started—but then get to work! It’s okay to work hard, and in fact, you probably should. In today's recap, we'll delve more into this topic of getting started and sticking with it—listen to the Weekly Recap to learn more! LISTENER UPDATES + QUESTIONS: This week, we received a listener email from Rodrigo:
- Rodrigo: "Hey Chris, a few months back when your tour for Side Hustle brought you to Books & Books down here in Miami, I had the chance to share two minutes of my story on how I forced myself to create my side hustle of a Udemy course on SEO by doing a really long day trip to Pensacola FL and back (a 12 hour total round-trip) with nothing but the voice recorder on my phone and a notepad with the outline of what the course chapters and sub-chapters of the course I wanted to create would look like. As I left the house at around 5 am that morning (arriving back at around 6 pm just in time for dinner with the fam), I hit the record button and just started talking. I pretended like I was in a room with 50 students eager to learn from my experience and just spoke as if it was a day-long training session—which was really important because it kept me focused on getting through all chapters. Chapter by chapter, I got through everything and even uncovered a ton of little details and ideas that I hadn't thought of earlier. Next day, I hired someone on Fiverr to transcribe the audio file and send me the PDF which I later used to create the course. Total cost $120 ($90 gas, $30 transcription). The big lesson I learned is that there's ALWAYS a way to dedicate time to something if it's important. But sometimes it just takes a little creative thinking and literally forcing yourself away from distractions and into a state of mind where it's easy to think and speak freely. Anyways, wanted to share as it could be helpful to others who are time-strapped and trying to spend that 1hr of free time over 12 days to make progress—rather than just hammering down and cranking out the 12 hrs at once. Thanks for all you do Chris—can't wait for your next book and to hear more about where this amazing adventure we call life takes you!"
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 499 - In search of extra income, an ESL teacher creates a game that shows students how to use phrasal verbs. Turn it up!
- Ep. 500 - A sky-high success story of a six-figure drone coaching business that begins after a man crashes a drone into a parked car in New York City. Look out!
- Ep. 501 - Inspired by his own work/life imbalance, a film and TV editor starts a project to help his industry learn how to live more by staying present
- Ep. 502 - A music teacher learns to subcontract her piano lessons, radically increasing her annual income
- Ep. 503 - After an MBA student is in a car crash that leaves her with chronic back pain, she sets about creating a change that would help thousands of other people
- Ep. 504 - A pair of female inventors are bringing clothes back to life with a simple gadget that saves straps with no need to sew—then using it to send a positive message about women’s health
Join me at the World Domination Summit!
Have you heard of the World Domination Summit? This is a gathering of awesome people—an event that I've been hosting together with an amazing team in Portland, OR every summer for the past eight years.
WDS 2018 is coming up at the end of June (June 26th-July 2nd), and we'll be welcoming people from over 30 different countries. With inspiring keynote speakers, a week full of activities and attendee-led meetups, and two incredible parties, you won't want to miss it!
This is our final wave of main stage tickets so visit our website to get your ticket to this incredible, once a year event! We promise that it's unlike anything you've ever experienced before.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A former venture capitalist starts a scent-sational side hustle selling her own natural, floral-based deodorant
- An Australian teenager learns to express her passion for makeup by posting tutorials on YouTube
- And so much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,