What It's About
A trans woman creates two queer-centric podcasts to serve as a safe space for those without strong family and friend bases.
Words of Wisdom
When I asked Callie what equipment they use, they said, they are convinced people care so much more about the content of your show than the sound quality. Fancy gear can’t make a boring conversation with a dispassionate host more interesting. Nevertheless, they shared what equipment they use: Apollo Twin High-Resolution Thunderbolt Interface, Electro Voice RE-20 Cardioid Microphone, and the Logic Pro X.
Callie ended up in Houston on Arian Foster's podcast, Now What?. He's a former Houston Texans running back and was one of the more popular players in the NFL before he retired. He sent out a tweet that he wanted to chat with someone from the transgender community and they were recommended. Check out the episode, here!
Notes from Chris
Episode 432Callie Wright, in their own words, considers themself pretty privileged. Their day job as a team lead in a call center pays well, and no one they works with cares about them being queer or trans. Callie also has a supportive group of friends and family. But not everyone who is queer and/or trans has the same experience. Callie remembers going to a vigil for a trans girl who was forced into conversion therapy and hearing an LGBTQ affirming minister say some things that made her feel out of place as a non-believer. Callie decided to create a space not just for LGBTQ activism, but for secular activism as well. They now produces two podcasts, an activist show called The Gaytheist Manifesto and a storytelling show called The Queer side. Their goals with their podcasts are to curate a space where people feel safe, valued, loved, and protected and also to try to change the hearts and minds of people who have negative attitudes towards the LGBTQ community. Callie’s first show The Gaytheist Manifesto launched in 2015. A little over a year into The Gaytheist Manifesto, they turned to their community and asked them to support it through Patreon. Patreon is a platform that helps creators get paid by running a membership business for their fans. Patrons pledge a monthly contribution, Callie rewards them with premium content, and Patreon delivers that content to their patrons. In 2017, Callie added their second podcast, a storytelling show called The Queer Side. They immediately started a Patreon when this podcast launched. Between Callie's two shows, today they receive over $800 each month in contributions. They also had roughly a dozen speaking opportunities as a result of these shows.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The Gaytheist Manifesto & The Queer side: Learn more about Callie's mission over on their podcast pages
- The Gaytheist Manifesto Patreon Page: Check out Callie's Patreon page—this is the membership platform that helps Callie get paid for putting together the content for their podcasts
- Apollo Twin High-Resolution Thunderbolt Interface, Electro Voice RE-20 Cardioid Microphone, and the Logic Pro X: Some of the gear and programs that Callie uses to produce both of their podcasts
- EXTENDED CUT #11: Lessons in Podcasting: If you're thinking of starting a podcast, what do you need to know? This special episode includes tips on marketing, content, gear, and more
- Creative Illustrator Creates Creative Podcast for Creatives: This freelance illustrator did design work for Google and Nickelodeon, but after giving a talk at his church he decides to start a podcast—which now earns up to $70,000 a year on the side
- Business Besties Turn Skype Calls Into Six-Figure Podcast: After two friends create a podcast for fun, it turns into a side hustle that generates $100,000 in its first year, multiple six-figures in year two, and a book deal in year three
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,