Notes from Chris
Episode 288LISTENER SHOUTOUTS: This week we have a listener check in from Melissa and listener voice messages from Jessica and Sam:
- Melissa wanted to touch base regarding an idea she had shared earlier in the year. She went ahead with setting up a website for her accounting practice and simply called it Side Hustle Accounting—providing Australian tax advice and encouragement for Side Hustlers and entrepreneurs in Australia. Since officially launching in July, she averages 1 new client per week!
- Jessica is interested in starting a side hustle selling professional documents and forms and offering professional document prep services which is awesome since it's a service that is much needed, but she's having a hard time deciding what platform would be best to sell her goods. Links from my response to Jessica: Etsy & Creative Market
- Sam is a musician in St. Louis who often finds it challenging to locate a space to practice music in since he lives in an apartment where that level of noise would not be appreciated by his neighbors. Naturally, this got him thinking about a solution to his problem, and he's considering using the Airbnb model to create a service that would allow people to rent out their practice spaces for musicians in need.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 282 - When mosquitoes attack, this marketing manager creates a wristband to ward them off. The project is a swarming success!
- Ep. 283 - Ever been annoyed at someone who double-parks? This Los Angeles designer turned his frustration into a novelty gift item with growing sales
- Ep. 284 - Two New York City event planners and dessert fiends create a festival series focused on their love of sugary goodness
- Ep. 285 - To make a living in the arts, this museum educator gets creative and says “Yes, and?” to the idea of her own hustle
- Ep. 286 - While struggling to pay his student loans, this enterprising graduate finds a way to “round up” his spare change to a six-figure side income
- Ep. 287 - A couple in Ottawa learn to “upcycle” unused furniture, working extra hours whenever they want and getting paid for something they’d do for free
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm also about to start the fifth week of my 100-city book tour! My bags are packed for Canada this week (join me!), and I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- Vancouver, Canada - October 16th
- Calgary, Canada - October 17th
- Montréal, Canada - October 18th
- Toronto, Canada - October 19th
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A trip to the mall at age 10 turns into a long-term hustle buying and reselling popular sneakers
- How an Oregon woman gets paid to clean animal skulls with flesh-eating beetles...yeah, you read that right!
- And so much more, so stay tuned!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,