Notes from Chris
Episode 267LISTENER SHOUTOUTS & QUESTIONS: This week we have a listener check in from Karlin and a listener question from Andres:
- Karlin: Hi Chris! Just wanted to say thanks for a great podcast. We've been listening in traffic while trying to escape Hurricane Irma. Wish us luck! Thanks for the inspiration and for saving our sanity
- Andres: Andres is looking to use his side hustle as a means for forming meaningful connections with other people in his line of work by sharing his knowledge and experience and hearing their stories as well. He'd like to do this in the form of a podcast, and he has two questions: 1) how do you know when a podcast is established enough that you can go and ask for sponsorship without being laughed out of the room, and 2) what is the best way for you to package up a podcast to show the business value to a potential advertiser so that they can understand why they should sponsor your show? If you're looking to create a podcast like Andres, you may be interested in checking out your sponsorship options. This guide from my friend, John Lee Dumas, can help you demystify the things you can do to monetize your podcast
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 261 - On a hot Texas day, this former football player gets inspired to create a water bottle. Within six months, it reaches $20,000 in monthly revenue
- Ep. 262 - After discovering the life-changing magic of colorful hammocks, a humanitarian worker based in Cambodia recruits two friends to import them to the U.S.
- Ep. 263 - After losing his job, moving to Thailand, and starting a new career, this former financial analyst creates a golf membership site that currently earns $2,800/month in recurring, passive income
- Ep. 264 - A customer support manager sees her side hustling future looming off in the distance. You’d better be-weave it!
- Ep. 265 - He hopes to show his clients an example of a successful business, but this consultant ends up with a million-dollar success of his own
- Ep. 266 - He wanted to impress his new girlfriend’s family, but he couldn’t write a letter to save his life—so he started a handwriting side hustle instead
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
In addition to the book being published this week, I've also kicked off my 100-city book tour! Today, I'm in Denver for my stop at Tattered Cover (join me!), and I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- New York City, NY - September 25th
- Washington, D.C. - September 26th
- Philadelphia, PA - September 27th
- Boston, MA - September 28th
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A martial arts teacher who makes BOWS (like bows and arrows) from PVC pipes and sells them at Renaissance Faires
- A woman who creates a side hustle selling a product she calls The Hair Grip—a velour band that goes underneath wigs and scarves to prevent them from falling back
- And so much more, so stay tuned!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,