What It's About
How a side hustle renting out high-end bridal accessories leads to a booming business.
Words of Wisdom
Happily Ever Borrowed even has a “send before you spend” option for brides who want to try on up to three different pieces, at a flat price of $50 for a two-day rental, which includes a $25 off coupon on any selected wedding rentals, just for trying the service. Apparently, even accessories need rehearsals.
This option helped set Brittany's side hustle apart from the rest—what can you implement so that your side hustle stand out?
In ancient times, the Greeks used wedding veils to protect the bride from evil spirits. That evolved into veils being seen as symbols of purity and chastity in Medieval times. And during the Plague, brides carried garlic and dill to ward off illness.
Notes from Chris
Episode 184Many childhood pursuits are lost to the past, but some take hold, transformed into an adult version of bygone ventures. Brittany Haas couldn’t foresee that starting at the age of 12 to plan the weddings of her three older sisters could lead to owning an online boutique renting luxury bridal accessories, but that’s exactly what ended up happening. The pressure of a request to design a sister’s gown sent them both out to shop for a reasonably priced one, and that’s where she was inspired. Why not supply brides with high-quality accessories that they could inexpensively rent and return? That’s what leads us to a side hustle: Happily Ever Borrowed. She did say “I do” to some startup costs: she spent about 20K on inventory, legal and marketing costs, and her website, Happilyeverborrowed.com. But the company has been doubling their sales year after year, have rented to over 500 brides, and are well on track to six figures. MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Happily Ever Borrowed Need a designer tiara without the designer price tag? Check out the high-end bridal accessories Brittany rents out on her website!
- 10 Tips for Successfully Breaking Into the Wedding Industry | Bespoke Bride: If you're looking to break into the wedding industry, here are some tips to help you start building your brand
- The Craigslist Wedding Photographer: A California government employee becomes a part-time wedding photographer by posting an ad on Craigslist
- Bridesmaid-for-Hire Posts on Craigslist; Earns $20,000/Month: A Craigslist ad goes viral and becomes a six-figure business for an in-demand bridesmaid
- Designer Illustrates Success with Personalized Wedding Products: A graphic designer in New York City taps into the wedding e-commerce market and turns her side hustle into full-time work bringing in multiple six-figures
Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,