Notes from Chris
Episode 225LISTENER Q&A: This week we have listener questions from Tom and Erin:
- Tom is a middle school Math and Robotics teacher by day, and he does freelance voice over work by night. He says his story is very similar to Parker's story in Ep. 5 since he's also on Fiverr, and he's at a point where his prices are relatively high raking in $4-600/month with just 10-12 orders. He recently received a voice-over request through his website though, and he ended up accepting that payment through PayPal. His question—what are the pros and cons of going through a service like Fiverr where they take a percentage of his revenue vs. handling his own payments through PayPal where he doesn't have a guarantee of payment?
- Erin started two blogs using affiliate programs after listening to Side Hustle School, but while she's been getting some sales and a lot of click throughs, about 80% of the click-throughs aren't generating any income for her. She's not quite sure why some things are generating income while most of them are not, and she's looking for resources that would better explain the Amazon Affiliate Program so that she can best utilize this channel.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 219 - Frustrated by the lack of real food bars devoid of added sugar and weird ingredients they couldn’t pronounce, two hungry fitness enthusiasts create their own tasty paleo bars and hustle their way to multiple six-figures
- Ep. 220 - After raising millions of dollars through crowdfunding at his day job, one man leverages his knowledge to start a side hustle helping others launch successful campaigns
- Ep. 221 - Trying to wrap the world in a little more love, a TV Producer starts a side hustle slinging personalized monogrammed scarves and giving a percent of her proceeds to charities benefiting education
- Ep. 222 - Fascinated by Balinese culture, a San Francisco native starts an import business to help preserve traditional art
- Ep. 223 - A 21-year-old college student combines her obsession with pets and love for painting to pay her way through school with customized animal portraits
- Ep. 224 - A German couple create a personalized jewelry shop taking the fleeting memories of childhood and turning them into gorgeous memories that last forever
Side Hustle Publication Countdown:
In 36 days (September 19th!), my new book, Side Hustle, will launch—and I can’t wait to share it with you!
The book builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
MORE NEWS IS COMING SOON, BUT FOR NOW:
- You can pre-order the book from your choice of retailers including your favorite local bookstore, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBooks, or anywhere else you’d prefer. If you pre-order, save your receipt (digital or physical)—I’ll have a special bonus for you later.
- Join the Street Team and be part of the launch!
- I’ll be doing a 100-city tour throughout the U.S., Canada, U.K., and then eventually the rest of the world. If you represent a company, organization, co-working space, or similar that would like to host an event, let me know.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A man grows a beard and nurtures a $500 a month side hustle as well
- Starbucks employee creates a six-figure hustle helping breweries and eventually quits his job
- An animal lover breeds rabbits and is able to use that money to graduate from college completely debt free
- Marketing coordinator realizes her lifelong dream of starting her own magazine
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by eero! The eero system is a fast and reliable blanket WiFi system that works with the internet service provider you already have to unlock the full potential of your connection. 💻
For free overnight shipping visit eero.com and at checkout select overnight shipping then enter HUSTLE to make it free!
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,