What It's About
A PR specialist moonlights as a tunes spinner and rocks the bank.
Words of Wisdom
Reena's tip to success: scheduling. She schedules and prioritizes everything, and her biggest secret is waking up early in the morning. She finds that the more she can tackle early, the more she can get done. While she doesn’t always complete everything on her “to do” list, she keeps moving forward.
Reena uses Asana to help boost her productivity. Asana is a project management application available on web and mobile that was founded by Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz and ex-engineer Justin Rosenstein in 2008.
Notes from Chris
Episode 313While her entry into the DJ world was purely by accident, a side hustle was fate for Reena Goodwin. During the week, she handles the marketing for an independent all-girls school, but on the weekends, you’ll find Reena spinning tunes at weddings and events through her side hustle DJ Goodwin. Although she has more than 10 years experience working in the music industry, Reena never imagined she would actually "play" music… but in May 2010, she organized the first Clampdown dance party in Cleveland and DJ’d her first gig. She was so nervous during her first gig she thought she might never DJ for hire again, but for her second job, she onboarded her then-fiancee, now-husband to work alongside her, and they’ve been a DJ duo ever since. While some months are quieter than others—not many people are getting married in January—Reena charges a base rate starting at $200/hour and with DJing about 20 to 25 gigs a year, makes an annual profit of about $30,000.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- DJ Goodwin: See what's spinning on Reena's DJ website
- FACTEUR PR: Learn more about Reena's PR studio on her website
- Asana: The scheduling and task tracking tool that Reena used to keep all of her ducks in a row
- Traktor: The program that Reena uses to mix her playlists
- Mamy Rock DJ & Sumiko: If you're thinking that DJing is just for the young, check out these two older female DJs who prove that it's never too late to try something new and exciting
- How to Become a DJ: The Beginner's Guide: Interested in starting a DJing side hustle of your own? Here's a comprehensive guide to help you get started
- Lawyer Earns $400/Month With Stock Music Side Hustle: An online music marketplace offers a young lawyer an opportunity to fulfill his dreams of having his music heard, and also provides him with a new source of passive income
- $10,000 Side Hustle Helps Musician Land Full-Time Job: A classically trained musician creates affordable options for music students in search of quality music demos
Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,