Notes from Chris
Episode 302WORDS OF WISDOM: Sometimes it's helpful when you're starting out to imagine who your ideal customer would be for any given product or service:
- Who will your side hustle serve? Somewhere out there, there’s a single ideal customer for your offer, also known as an avatar. You want to learn as much as you can about this person so that you can better serve them. What are their goals? What problems do they have? If you can solve one of their biggest problems, what would the best possible scenario for them look like? Start with them, take them out for an imaginary cup of coffee, and keep them in mind as you build the rest of the project. Don't hesitate to go deep to understand their goals, hopes, problems, and fears. It may even help to write directly to your avatar, focusing on who they are and what you intend to do to help.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 296 - It starts with a drum set that his brother’s band left at his house for a month when he was a teenager—and it develops into a lifelong love of percussion and a major moneymaker
- Ep. 297 - When a lawyer demands tasting lessons from a wine store employee, the employee realizes there’s a demand for his knowledge. He eventually leaves his job to educate people about wine full-time
- Ep. 298 - After hearing about the Craigslist Wedding Photographer (Ep. 9), a woman in Australia books $7,500 in wedding clients for her newly-acquired floral arranging skills
- Ep. 299 - Three teachers create an alternative camp for kids who aren’t interested in sports. The school keeps the profits the first year, but they get creative and find a way to pay themselves in year two
- Ep. 300 - A Silicon Valley employee fed up with his company’s lack of emphasis on improving workplace culture starts a conference. Two years later, it’s his full-time job
- Ep. 301 - A project manager for an oil & gas company burns the midnight oil and makes eco-conscious candles for profit and charity
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm also about to start the seventh week of my 100-city book tour! My bags are packed, and my first stop this week is in San Francisco (join me!). I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- San Francisco, CA - October 30th
- Santa Cruz, CA - November 1st
- Detroit, MI - November 2nd
- Pittsburgh, PA - November 8th
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A special Halloween episode featuring a mom and pop prop shop in Los Angeles that serves up fake meth labs and body parts to shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones… and it all started as a side hustle
- A corporate refugee relocates to Florida and kicks off a new hustle leading adult scooter tours—this is f***ing awesome.
- And so much more, so stay tuned!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,