What It's About
A woman pulls her family out of debt self-publishing her romance novels
Words of Wisdom
When Carey began the task of writing her first book, like most new authors, she made many mistakes. In novel writing there are two types of people: plotters and "pantsers." At first she was a pantser, as in "fly by the seat of your pants," and her stories went wherever her imagination was going at the time.
That kind of writing can be freeing for a while, but it’s not necessarily great for readers. Halfway through the first draft, she realized she had no conflict in her story, and anyone who reads fiction knows why this is a big problem—what's the point of reading a story with no conflict? It took her six months to write that first draft and then another five months working on edits and rewrites before she published it.
Since that first book came out, she’s sold over 200,000 copies worldwide. Her books have been translated into German, Czech, Spanish, and are also available as audiobooks. Carey is paid monthly royalties from these sales. With Amazon, if her book is priced $2.99 or higher, the royalty is approximately 70%. For ebooks that retail under $2.99, the royalty is closer to 30%.
Since she’s in charge of everything, she can set her own prices. She usually opts for a price of around $3.99, meaning that she earns about $2.80 on every book that’s sold. The income she’s earned has allowed her to pay off some debt that she struggled with before she began publishing. It's given her the financial freedom to travel and save for the future.
Notes from Chris
If you're like Carey and are interested in writing a book, you'll want to learn about the business of publishing—but you should also make sure you’re learning a lot about the structure and art of writing books. Pay attention to the books you read. Read thoroughly within your genre but also read outside of it. And remember—good writers tend to pull in experience from other fields, just as we see through lots of different Side Hustle stories. MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- CareyHeywood.com: If you'd like to learn more about Carey and her books, visit her website!
- Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing: Carey used Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing for all of her eBook romance novels. You too can self-publish eBooks and paperbacks for free in 5 minutes, and reach millions of readers on Amazon.
- Smashwords: She also signed up with Smashwords, another service that fed her books to additional ebook retailers like Barnes & Noble and iBooks.
- Draft2Digital: Another great service that Carey uses to feed her eBooks to other retailers because she feels that their website is more user friendly.
- The Unconventional Guide to Publishing: In this comprehensive toolkit, you’ll learn how to navigate the publishing industry, especially in regards to getting a traditional book deal
- Writer's Digest: A popular resource for writers, celebrating the writing life and what it means to be a writer in today's publishing environment
Subscribe Now For A Free Five Step Tutorial
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,