Notes from Chris
Episode 617THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: A listener by the name of James reached out to ask what my advice would be for people looking to compete with Amazon and eBay—how can small independent shops thrive against big companies? My advice is don't compete ... you could never compete with Amazon, fair or unfair. But meanwhile, thousands of people are making a living using Amazon's models (Fulfilled by Amazon, Merch by Amazon, etc.). So you either adapt to one of those or you find a way to do something different. To hear more, check out today's Weekly Recap!
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: This is a new segment we're trying out with the help of side hustlers that we've featured in the past. Today, we have an update from Amanda MacArthur, who was featured very early in the show on Ep. 11. When we featured Amanda back in 2017, she was introducing the world to the Ketogenic diet and had just come out with a new book that helped her earn $1,000 in the first day. Since then, the ketogenic market has experienced a huge increase in visibility, and business is booming! Check out her websiteWicked Stuffed to see for yourself. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Amanda and learn what's happened since she was featured on the show!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 611 - This CPA was burned out on office work, so she turned her efforts to an Etsy business—but it wasn’t long before she was hitting the books again, just in a more creative way. Her new spreadsheets help Etsy sellers and earn a six-figure income for her
- Ep. 612 - In search of a side hustle, two Australian friends learn to import toothbrushes from the U.S., earning $30,000 in profit
- Ep. 613 - This web developer always wanted to travel, but only had a few days a year to do it. Little did she know that her jam-packed adventures would become a profitable side hustle
- Ep. 614 - After designing a laminated menu for a restaurant, this product design manager has “the write idea” to create reusable paper. She then sells it to brands like Airbnb, earning up to $10,000 a month
- Ep. 615 - After overcoming obstacles in her search for remote work opportunities, this stay-at-home mom creates her own resource website to help others. She gets paid when visitors click through to register for programs she promotes
- Ep. 616 - This attorney was frustrated with the content the media creates for modern women—so she started her own magazine to represent what women like her wanted to read
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A London receptionist rents out his photography equipment on a peer-to-peer sharing site… over and over and over
- Two sisters living in New York City relive their childhood memories and create a personalized board game, earning $16,500 in the first four months
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
This week, Side Hustle School is brought to you by Crazy Enough to Work, a popular podcast and film series. 📈
When the rest of the world is still zigging, some companies know when it’s time to zag. Elizabeth Banks has teamed up with State Street Global Advisors to make a series of podcasts and films that uncover the bold moves mid-cap companies make to thrive and survive.
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,