Notes from Chris
Episode 253LISTENER SHOUTOUTS & QUESTIONS: This week we had a couple of check ins from La Dawn and Karen, and a couple of listener questions from Dan and Chris:
- La Dawn: I just binged listened to every episode. It took about a week but I'm excited to pursue my side hustle in Austin, TX in the coming week. I will continue to listen and thank you for the amazing show.
- Karen: Through a combination of hearing about Sven Delivers (Ep. 145 a few episodes back) and my life experience which included a year in Boston where I realized that used IKEA furniture resells for about 50% of its original value... I decided to get into action with my idea of reselling (and sometimes delivering) mostly IKEA furniture that I find for free or that is undervalued via Craigslist and selling groups on FB. The great thing about where I live (Orange County, CA) is that there are a lot of colleges nearby and numerous IKEA stores within driving distance, so that means a lot of used IKEA furniture floating around!
- Chris in Amsterdam has a tendency to look for perfectionism at all stages of his side hustle and is seeking some guidance regarding how to keep from overthinking different things
- Dan is in the pre-launch stage of his side hustle, and he has a lot of questions about the kind of content he should be including for his new audience
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 247 - A college student starts a blog, grows it for 7 years while he works full-time at Target, and now makes more than half a million dollars a year
- Ep. 248 - We can’t stop chirping over this bodybuilder who uses an insect as the secret sauce in his smoothie side hustle
- Ep. 249 - A Denver transplant learns new skills and creates a networking group that now includes a podcast, magazine, and $30,000 in side income
- Ep. 250 - A British soccer—er, football—fan sets up a blog that refers visitors to bookmakers. He gets paid for every referral, making this a project worth betting on
- Ep. 251 - A dermatologist enlists the help of his whole family to create an ecommerce site
- Ep. 252 - The road to riches may not be paved with poetry, but this Dubai accountant earns a healthy side income teaching workshops and producing performances
Side Hustle Publication Countdown:
In 9 days (September 19th!), my new book, Side Hustle, will launch—and I can’t wait to share it with you!
The book builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
MORE NEWS IS COMING SOON, BUT FOR NOW:
- You can pre-order the book from your choice of retailers including your favorite local bookstore, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBooks, or anywhere else you’d prefer. Also, if you pre-order the book, you'll get my 48 Side Hustle Ideas bonus PDF. Fill out the form at the bottom of this page to get yours today!
- Join the Street Team and be part of the launch!
- I’ll be doing a 100-city tour throughout the U.S., Canada, U.K., and then eventually the rest of the world. If you represent a company, organization, co-working space, or similar that would like to host an event, let me know.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A Toronto science teacher creates an attachable guitar amplifier that pairs with a smartphone, raising more than $250,000 and appearing on Dragon’s Den
- For her first side hustle, a Washington, DC attorney creates an online course for new mothers returning to the world of work—and then finds a way to get employers to pay for it
- A construction project manager flies to China and invents a new kind of kayak that folds into its own backpack
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Get a FREE Audiobook from Audible!
Audible is offering SHS listeners a free copy of the Born For This audiobook with a 30-day trial membership. 📚
Just go to aonc.co/bftaudible and browse the unmatched selection of audio programs and start listening.
Get it Here
Like the Show? Leave a Rating!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,