Notes from Chris
Episode 197LISTENER Q&A: This week we had a listener email from Julie and a listener question from Melinda:
- Julie wrote in to say that she has officially launched her side hustle, 'Peace, Love, and Sisters'—a weekend workshop for sisters. She got the idea for her side hustle after attending a couple’s workshop with her husband, and she realized that there was an opportunity to create something similar for sisters since there wasn't really a venue for such a thing.
- Melinda is a high school English teacher with a Masters in Communication, and she's considering starting a side hustle as a workshop facilitator where she would teach others how to create meaningful workshops. Someone she knows recommended that she join this Association that would facilitate networking and connections, but Melinda says the fees are a little much for her current budget. Her question—should she join this Association anyways because its benefits outweigh the costs, or are there other ways she can network with those in her field?
CHRIS' RECOMMENDATIONS: If you're interested in creating your own e-commerce website but aren't sure where to start, Shopify has just released a special video series that you may find useful! This comprehensive series is free to you, and Shopify is also offering a 21-day free trial so that you can see if Shopify is right for you. —>Visit the video series page to learn more!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 191 - After being given a ‘write a business plan’ assignment for school, this 14-year-old created an actual business instead
- Ep. 192 - A New York-based art director has a difficult time finding a job that fits both her financial and creative needs, so she learns to think creatively with her ‘anything goes’ design hustle
- Ep. 193 - A pilot in the Pacific Northwest uses his love of the land and his skills in the air to create a profitable side hustle
- Ep. 194 - Banking on a universal love of chocolate, a former temp worker creates a unique side hustle leading guided tours that allow tourists to eat their way through London’s chocolate shops
- Ep. 195 - A couple in Virginia ‘home’ in on a side hustle renting out white doves for weddings and special events
- Ep. 196 - After being inspired by social good companies like TOMS, a woman in London creates a yoga accessories business that focuses on empowering women worldwide
Side Hustle Publication Countdown:
In 64 days (September 19th!), my new book, Side Hustle, will launch—and I can’t wait to share it with you!
The book builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
MORE NEWS IS COMING SOON, BUT FOR NOW:
- You can pre-order the book from your choice of retailers including your favorite local bookstore, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBooks, or anywhere else you’d prefer. If you pre-order, save your receipt (digital or physical)—I’ll have a special bonus for you later.
- Join the Street Team and be part of the launch!
- I’ll be doing a 100-city tour throughout the U.S., Canada, U.K., and then eventually the rest of the world. If you represent a company, organization, co-working space, or similar that would like to host an event, let me know.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A wedding ring advice service from the UK called Agent Engagement
- A couple in German goes to Denmark on holiday, then starts an arts & crafts side hustle that brings in 2/3rds of their income
- A profit-earning photography series featuring confetti (yes, it makes up to several thousand dollars a month)
- Mommee Coffee, a coffee-brand specifically for pregnant and breast-feeding mothers
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Get a FREE Audiobook from Audible!
Audible is offering SHS listeners a free audiobook with a 30-day trial membership. 📚
Just go to audible.com/HUSTLE and browse the unmatched selection of audio programs—download a title free and start listening.
Get it Here
Like the Show? Leave a Rating!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,