Notes from Chris
Episode 498THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: I recently had a conversation with Kathleen Shannon, who we featured in Ep. 404. Kathleen works 30 hours a week and wants to spend a lot of time in the gym. Her colleague, Emily, has a third business, in addition to her own and the one they operate together. For her, Kathleen absolutely doesn’t want a third business. Obviously, it’s not that either choice is right for everyone—for Emily, her colleague, the third business is right. This relates to the concept of seasonality, which I try to stress every now and then. Sometimes in life, you want to emphasize one area or focus more than another, and then you switch. If you're looking for “balance,” I think it’s more important to think about it over the course of a year or another extended period of time, not in an average day. In today's recap, we'll delve more into this topic of choosing your choices—listen to the Weekly Recap to learn more! LISTENER UPDATES + QUESTIONS: This week, we received a listener email from a side hustler named Anthony:
- Anthony: "Hey, Chris! Just wanted to thank you—since listening, we have started four side hustles that individuals have done on your podcast. And the latest is on the way to bringing in $10,000/month! It's called Maids 2 Match our residential cleaning business in Dallas, TX. We got the idea from one of your featured guests, Chris Schwab (Ep. 87 - College Student Earns $20,000 a Month Cleaning Houses). Who I stalked on Facebook and picked his brain, and introduced me to a WHOLE community of people using this software called Launch27 for Lawncare, Pool Cleaning, moving business, dog walking, real estate. It preaches everything you mention about not trading time for money. Currently, we are in month 5 and bringing in $6,000/month. We've done Turo, Rover and a few others. Thanks in advance (and in general) and hope to hear from you soon!"
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 492 - A college student with a new family to support reads between the lines and turns a $20 used textbook into almost $70,000 within two years. This episode will flip your lid!
- Ep. 493 - Two former baseball players create a bat rental service, serving thousands of customers across the country
- Ep. 494 - In her search for a side hustle, this college communications instructor turns to her love of journaling. She then learns to manufacture a custom product from overseas and sell it back at home
- Ep. 495 - A university data developer starts a metal detecting agency with his kids. It goes on to help people recover over $100,000 worth of jewelry, while earning rewards for the family
- Ep. 496 - Hair today, gone tomorrow: a Texas woman turns her Instagram account into a mane event
- Ep. 497 - A pilot instructor harkens back to his youth by building a fun, safe space for kids of all ages to play paintball
Join me at the World Domination Summit!
Have you heard of the World Domination Summit? This is a gathering of awesome people—an event that I've been hosting together with an amazing team in Portland, OR every summer for the past eight years.
WDS 2018 is coming up at the end of June (June 26th-July 2nd), and we'll be welcoming people from over 30 different countries. With inspiring keynote speakers, a week full of activities and attendee-led meetups, and two incredible parties, you won't want to miss it!
This is our final wave of main stage tickets so visit our website to get your ticket to this incredible, once a year event! We promise that it's unlike anything you've ever experienced before.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A sky-high success story of a six-figure drone coaching business that begins after a man crashes a drone into a parked car in New York City. Look out!
- In search of extra income, an ESL teacher creates a game that shows students how to use phrasal verbs. Turn it up!
- And so much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,