Notes from Chris
Episode 477THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: In today's recap, I talk about "what kind of side business is best for you"—a question that comes up pretty much every day, in so many different ways. To illustrate this, we'll use three episodes from this week. Each of these stories is highly successful, but they're all very different from one another—both in topics and models. While it may not be obvious to everyone, the model you choose is just as important when making side hustle decisions as the topic. Listen to the Weekly Recap to learn more! LISTENER UPDATES + QUESTIONS: This week, we received a listener email from a side hustler whose name I've retracted since the topic of his question is rather personal:
- Anonymous: "Your work has been very inspirational and motivational. I am currently in a dilemma, and in the absence of a mentor who can give me advice, I am writing to you with the hope that you can help me. I do not want to waste your time with my life story; the situation is that I left my full-time job to pursue a passion project, which failed. I've almost run out of my savings and my old job is no longer available. It's been tough getting a new job too. While I'm thinking of continuing my job hunt to pay the bills, I also keep thinking if I should give my passion project a few more tries before calling it quits altogether. Your advice on having a side hustle is of course, on the back of my mind, but in my situation, would you recommend having a regular job and a side hustle or is it better to pursue my passion full-time? Thanks for all the work you do to help people across the world."
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 471 - A Pennsylvania couple turns a difference in home decorating taste into a bustling business, complete with mounted unicorn heads for your next remodel
- Ep. 472 - A contest idea turns into a restaurant recommending algorithm, earning its creator an extra $50,000/year
- Ep. 473 - A new resident of Charleston, South Carolina pursues a passion for watercolor print design. She ends up creating a stationery brand of prints, cards, mugs, and notebooks inspired by the coastal lifestyle
- Ep. 474 - A construction engineer discovers how much energy is wasted by attics, creates a simple product that saves homeowners money, and builds a side hustle that earns more than two million dollars a year
- Ep. 475 - A longtime side hustler develops a new tool that helps his clients optimize their business tasks
- Ep. 476 - It started as a hobby when he was four years old. It’s now a profitable passion project for an Atlanta chess guru
Join me at the World Domination Summit!
Have you heard of the World Domination Summit? This is a gathering of awesome people—an event that I've been hosting together with an amazing team in Portland, OR every summer for the past eight years.
WDS 2018 is coming up at the end of June (June 26th-July 2nd), and we'll be welcoming people from over 30 different countries. With inspiring keynote speakers, a week full of activities and attendee-led meetups, and two incredible parties, you won't want to miss it!
This is our final wave of main stage tickets so visit our website to get your ticket to this incredible, once a year event! We promise that it's unlike anything you've ever experienced before.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- After looking for a way to send mass emails by Gmail, this web developer stumbles on more than a million dollars a year in recurring revenue
- A man in Australia spends a year eating nothing but potatoes to conquer his food addiction. Along the way, he loses 121 pounds and gains a $1,500 a month side hustle
- And so much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
This week, Side Hustle School is brought to you by eHarmony. eHarmony is built to help you find lasting, meaningful relationships. 💕
Right now, Side Hustle School listeners can get a free month with eHarmony when they sign up for a 3-month subscription! Enter my code HUSTLE at checkout. Stop waiting and start your journey to a love-filled, compatible relationship!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,