What It's About
A chess master helps others make the cut.
Words of Wisdom
Beyond emails, Xiao says one-on-one networking has been a great way to build his business. Also, partnering with professional chess coaches on events like Chess Camps and writing for well-known industry sites like Chess Summit.
About 200 million people play chess online in the world. Whereas only 2 million people play chess in person competitively. Xiao knew the market to tap, thus wanting to bring e-learning into his business plan.
Notes from Chris
What were you into when you were four years old? Well, Xiao (pronounced “shi-how”) Cheng fell in love with the game of chess at four and by six years old, he knew it was something he wanted to take seriously. Really seriously. Where did Xiao acquire this love of the game? It started from his first chess mentor, his Mom. She taught him the basics, knighting in him the love of the game early on. Then as he grew up, Xiao took it to the next level with the guidance of professional chess coaches. This led him to top rankings in many chess tournaments, including first place in the Georgia State Championship. What’s just as impressive is Xiao’s ability to turn this life-long interest into a successful side hustle called Chess 1000. 1000 not only references the chess rating that he helps his students achieve and advance beyond. But by a happy coincidence that his side hustle currently brings in an extra $1.000 a month. And by the way, you’re probably wondering what Xiao’s chess rating is: 2300. (Below 1200 is a novice, 2700 is a World Championship Grandmaster contender). Chess 1000 is really built around Xiao’s chess tutoring business, one that he started after college. He found teaching chess was a nice complement to his full-time gig. Plus, he got to play a game he loved. 90% of his current student base came from simply talking to parents at different tournaments, and most of his students are school-aged kids. His lessons range from in person, one-on-one tutoring to virtual, using an online chess platform and Skype to teach. He personalizes every session based on the student, teaching them different tactics, how to work to checkmate, finish off opponents, or new patterns to get more pieces. All to work towards that 1000 rating goal. What’s next for Xiao and Chess 1000? He wants to create online courses. Since he only has weekends and weeknights to dedicate to his side hustle, building a more online business will really help him efficiently scale… perhaps play a more offensive position. Taking the materials and techniques he teaches one-one-one and bringing it to a wider audience of aspiring grandmasters.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Chess 1000: Dominate at your next chess tournament—learn more over on Xiao's website!
- Wordpress: Xiao used Wordpress to setup Chess 1000, and here you can learn how to install your own Wordpress site in 5 minutes
- HostGator: The company that Xiao used to host his website
- MailChimp: The email marketing platform that Xiao used to connect with those who signed up for his coaching sessions
- Honeymoon in Nepal Becomes Fashion Accessories Business: A multinational love affair turns into a global side hustle in the fashion world that also raises money for charity in Nepal
- TV Producer Sells Monogrammed Scarves; Earns $1,000 Riding Subway: Trying to wrap the world in a little more love, a TV Producer starts a side hustle slinging personalized monogrammed scarves and giving a percent of her proceeds to charities benefiting education
- Hair Salon Owner Designs Mittens for Cold Runners: An avid runner has a difficult time finding gloves or mittens that feel comfortable enough for running while also keep her fingers warm in the winter. She decides to make her own and pursues a patent for her idea/li>
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Social media is nice, but building an email list is still the single best way to get customers and clients for your hustle. It's not hard to get started—sign up for a 30-day trial and join the list-building challenge! You’ll be up and running in no time.
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
This week, Side Hustle School is brought to you by eHarmony. eHarmony is built to help you find lasting, meaningful relationships. 💕
Right now, Side Hustle School listeners can get a free month with eHarmony when they sign up for a 3-month subscription! Enter my code HUSTLE at checkout. Stop waiting and start your journey to a love-filled, compatible relationship!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,