Notes from Chris
Episode 512THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: I find that a lot of people struggle with putting together a website for their side hustle, so this week, I want to talk about how you can put something together quickly and easily. I think that everyone should know how to make a website, which is not to say that I think that everyone should know how to code or be a programmer. What do I mean by that? Well, when it comes to technology and the internet, a little knowledge can go a long way. Even if you do end up working with a developer, it can be in your best interest to learn enough so that you can fix small things on your own. It also helps to have a tech-savvy vocabulary that can use to explain what you want, or what you're looking for, in the event that someone else is building your website. Below you'll find links to the resources I mentioned in today's Weekly Recap—listen to today's episode to learn more!
- How to Build a Website in 90 Minutes or Less: The goal of this tutorial is to show you how to set up your first website in a short period of time and without spending a lot of money. Your site probably won’t be beautiful or amazing at first, but that’s okay—done is better than perfect, and you have to start somewhere!
- Wordpress.com: The website building platform that I've been using for over a decade—right now they have a special deal for SHS listeners
- Squarespace, Weebly, Wix: Some other website building platforms that our side hustlers have found success with In today's recap, we'll delve more into this topic of getting started and sticking with it—listen to the Weekly Recap to learn more! LISTENER UPDATES + QUESTIONS: This week, we received a listener email from Sabine:
- Sabine: "I have been listening to SHS since the beginning and have always been impressed with the podcast. And in year two, you are the Energizer Bunny of podcasters! I just listened to Sunday's show and had to write you to make sure you know how terrific the show is. It amazes me that you share so many insights, for free. I loved what you said about network marketing, and agree completely! Thanks for speaking up. Also, the insight you shared about profit margins was on the money. Pun intended. (Keep up the punning, btw.) Profits are what keep us alive and thriving. People who have regular jobs would never turn down a pay raise, and if they were offered the same job for more money at another company, would probably take it, if all other considerations were the same. Finally, the reminder to think about why someone is doing a side-hustle was pertinent to me, as I’ve become stalled in my own side-hustle creation process. I’m thinking again about what I want, why I want it, and why I think others will want what I create. Every time I listen to your show, it’s an idea- and energy-boost. Thanks so much for all you do. Day after day, besides the people you feature on the show, you provide us with your own example of a successful entrepreneur, sharing what he’s learned. And thanks to your crew, as well. You obviously have great people working with you."
- Ep. 506 - In his quest to understanding the economics of food trucks (also known as food carts), a man creates a blog and podcast that earns $60,000 in a year. He does this part-time—and without owning an actual food truck!
- Ep. 507 - An Australian teenager learns to express her passion for makeup by posting tutorials on YouTube
- Ep. 508 - A public policy researcher starts a Washington, DC tour guide business and overcomes the hurdle of competitive TripAdvisor reviews
- Ep. 509 - A former venture capitalist starts a scent-sational side hustle selling her own natural, floral-based deodorant
- Ep. 510 - Two Orange County artists set high expectations when they create the first bring-your-own-cannabis art studio, complete with Bob Ross classes and a welcoming vibe
- Ep. 511 - While training for a 24-hour obstacle course challenge and working full-time, two GM employees turn cold brew into a money making energizer
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
Join me at the World Domination Summit!
Have you heard of the World Domination Summit? This is a gathering of awesome people—an event that I've been hosting together with an amazing team in Portland, OR every summer for the past eight years.
WDS 2018 is coming up at the end of June (June 26th-July 2nd), and we'll be welcoming people from over 30 different countries. With inspiring keynote speakers, a week full of activities and attendee-led meetups, and two incredible parties, you won't want to miss it!
This is our final wave of main stage tickets so visit our website to get your ticket to this incredible, once a year event! We promise that it's unlike anything you've ever experienced before.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- When an Ontario man finds himself dreaming of a car he can’t afford, he buys it anyway—then rents it out half the time to earn an extra $15,000 in 2017
- A pediatric dentist joins forces with her husband to sell sugar-free caramels. Starting from a goal of selling 100 bags at a local market, they go on to earn $100,000 in 2017
- And so much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Side Hustle School is brought to you by CardsForTravel.com. Use travel hacking to see the world!
When you apply for their most popular, small business rewards card, you can earn 80,000 Bonus Points—enough for three round-trip plane tickets or $1,000 in travel credits. Check out this limited time offer! ✈️
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,