Notes from Chris
Episode 596THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: This week, one of our featured stories (Ep. 592) said something particularly notable. I didn't include it in the episode itself, but reading through some notes later I noticed this quote: "Advice from customers is great, but take it with a grain of salt and not as an absolute truth. What they want and what they will buy are two very different things.” This is true. As important as it is to listen to your customers, you shouldn't let them dictate your next moves. You also shouldn't listen to people when they tell you that your idea is silly, or that it just won't work. Listen to today's Weekly Recap to learn more why being told "you can't do this" is highly motivational, and why it always seems impossible until it's done.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: This is a new segment we're trying out with the help of side hustlers that we've featured in the past. Today, we have an update from Julie Wilder, who was featured very early in the show on Ep. 6. Julie publishes an annual astrology calendar and has seen a MAJOR increase in sales recently. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Julie and learn what's happened since she was featured on the show!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 590 - A teacher begins working part-time as a personal chef at children’s baking parties, then starts a magazine about healthy food. The project now brings in around $5,000/month in recurring income
- Ep. 591 - Rise and shine! A petroleum engineer finds the perfect item to resell on Amazon. He goes on to sell $300,000 worth of the humble coffee grinder
- Ep. 592 - After creating course materials for a forgotten group of educators, this agricultural teacher now earns a significant income from a growing business
- Ep. 593 - He panicked whenever he saw his phone battery running out, but he could never find the right power bank to fit his needs—so he decided to power-up and make his own
- Ep. 594 - A husband and wife clean up with a homemade soap side hustle that’s no lathering matter. It’s currently earning $50,000 a month!
- Ep. 595 - When she found out she had high cholesterol, she knew it was time to make a change in her life. Learning to make an extra $2,000/month telling people about it came along as an unexpected bonus
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- The buzzworthy journey of Minnesotan bees and their keepers. These hardy bees don’t mess around—last year they produced $150,000 in sweet profits!
- A self-described "avocado queen" who earns $45,000 after inventing a special kind of spreadable granola
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,