Notes from Chris
Episode 652THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: In Episode 649, Micah told us something interesting that I saved for the recap. He said: "For me, I knew I wouldn't treat my side hustle as legit if I didn't make it legit. So we incorporated and opened a bank account and trademarked our name and logo and got business cards. I spent 70% of our startup dollars just on apparatus that made it seem like a business. I was sitting there looking at $5,000 worth of legitimacy, and knew that I needed to justify that by creating something great." Good news: you don't need to spend $5,000 to replicate this mindset. In today's episode, you can hear four tips on how to apply a similar principle without breaking the bank. To hear more, check out today's Weekly Recap. P.S. Thank you for the kind notes about last week's marathon—I finished! See more in my Instagram Stories at @193countries.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: This is a new segment we're trying out with the help of side hustlers that we've featured in the past. Today, we have an update from Maury McCoy, who was featured on the show in Ep. 54. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Maury himself! You can also check out his website, Penny Portrait.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 646 - Yes, really: this Pennsylvania couple rents out 2,000 chickens to people interested in urban homesteading. It’s a side hustle worth clucking about!
- Ep. 647 - A niche market of photographers who use analog film hasn’t had a one-stop shop for all the supplies they need—at least until this UK sales manager develops one in partnership with his mom and sister
- Ep. 648 - After first beginning with private cooking lessons, this former marketer discovers an even bigger opportunity in the world of food tours
- Ep. 649 - Missing the south after migrating north to Boston, a designer creates a series of sports-themed pennants and t-shirts that put hometown pride on display. Since starting up, he’s had more than $1M in sales and earned a profit of $5,000 each month
- Ep. 650 - When he can’t find a non-alcoholic beverage worthy of greatness, this Nike manager learns to create, package, and sell his own line of fruit-infused balsamic sodas
- Ep. 651 - When the summer heat brings sweaty streaks, this aircraft company employee finds a way to wipe away the moisture. Bonus: this episode is presented by Whitney Korenek, our longtime Content Manager
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to email@example.com, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A Crossfit trainer and her videographer partner create a healthy meal prep and delivery service, launching it with zero startup costs and growing to nearly $1m in 3 years
- Hard work pays off! After three years of streaming video games to an audience of thousands every night, this marketing manager now earns more from his side gig than he does from his day job
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,