What It's About
After coming across handmade scented candles in a boutique shop, one man starts his own candle making company.
Words of Wisdom
Marc's initial candles were white wax in clear glass with a white label, but he wanted something more progressive. After doing some searching, he found an amber-colored glass cube he really liked. The initial version didn’t sell so well, but 9 months ago he started selling a new version with a redesigned label created by a local graphic designer and the new glassware, and sales have really taken off.
If something isn't working with your service or product, it's never too late to make a change.
Since the implementation of Meeting & Market, Marc has experienced glassware shortages, glassware outages, label issues, a bad batch of wax, a bad batch of oil that didn’t mix well with the wax, and so forth. He also worries about selling wholesale and not being able to meet people’s needs due to glassware issues.
That said, he's since switched to a new company and has sourced clear cubed glassware that will allow him to expand his options to offer three different volumes.
Notes from Chris
What do you do if your day job is a seasonal one, meaning that you have several months off or at least a time of year in which your work is much less busy? You start a side hustle, naturally, and that's exactly what Marc Gaskins did in today's story. Marc has a restaurant equipment business that he runs during the busy, wedding season in Charleston, South Carolina, but he often gets bored when business slows down during the hot summer months of July and August and the cold winter months of January and February. He needed something to fill his time, and, after coming across a line of handmade scented candles selling for $85 a piece at a boutique shop, he decided to tackle the world of candle making himself. Prior to this idea, Marc had absolutely zero experience with candle making. Everything he now knows about the process he learned online watching YouTube videos. It wasn't always easy for Marc—he had to make many adjustments to his product in order to get to where he is today, but his resourcefulness and business savvy have helped him immensely along the way. Usually it's better to work with the skills you already have, but Marc's story proves that there is much to be said for learning a new process too. There are lots of resources out there that are available to those who look—is there something you've always wanted to learn that might make a good hustle? MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Meeting & Market: Learn more about Marc and his handmade candle line
- Shopify: Marc used Shopify to create his website. They're offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
- CandleScience: Marc credits his knowledge of candle making to this company who not only creates instructional videos, but sells candle making products as well
- Glassnow: The initial company where Marc sourced his amber glass containers for his candles
- National Farmers Market Directory: In addition to selling on his website, Etsy, and Amazon, Marc also sold his candles at his local farmers market. Find your local farmers market here!
- USPS Mail Carrier Makes Clay Imprints for New Parents: How a USPS mail carrier and court interpreter created an $800/month hustle serving new and expectant parents
- Skillshare: If you're looking to learn a new skill to help your side hustle, check out the courses at Skillshare. Right now you can get a full month free for being a Side Hustle School listener!
Subscribe Now For A Free Five Step Tutorial
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 3 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,