Notes from Chris
Episode 344THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: In our forty-ninth weekly recap, we'll focus on a couple of different concepts that popped up this week including the pros and cons of launching a seasonal side hustle. Around this time of year, I always go on what I call my Annual Review trip. This is something I've been doing myself for the last 10 years and is the single thing I can use to trace the productivity I've had and the goals I've been able to accomplish. Essentially, it's a measure of my success. If you're interested in learning more about the process, start here! LISTENER QUESTIONS: Today we have a listener email from Lisa and a listener voicemail from Mimi:
- Lisa: "I had to tell you what I did today. I have been listening to SHS all year and pre-ordered your new book. Like a lot of your listeners I'm sure, have a bunch of ideas floating around but I haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I started to read your book and went through 6 days of it, and then got stalled at the napkin exercise when life got in the way for a while. So, I decided that I would devote the day before Thanksgiving to Side Hustle Camp! I made myself an agenda, lit a fire, put on comfy clothes, and spent the day reading the whole book so I would see the big picture of how everything would all go. Then, I scheduled how I can go back through the book and all the exercises by the end of the year. I will launch in 2017! And then, the most exciting thing is I bought a domain name that I've ALWAYS wanted and bought the 2-year hosting platform on InMotion after listening to Extended Cut 3. What a day! I am super excited, and I knew you'd be happy to hear this. Feel free to share the idea of Side Hustle Camp to anyone. Sometimes you need to create a fun and devoted day to get yourself unstuck. Thank you so much for everything you do! You are really helping to change my life when I need it (I am suddenly trying to make extra money to support my 91-year-old Mama). Cheers!"
- Mimi has decided that she'd like to start a podcast as her side hustle, but the mechanics of it give her pause. She's hoping to get an idea of what goes into producing a show like Side Hustle School and what I would recommend for beginners. If you'd like to start a podcast of your own, check out EXTENDED CUT #11: Lessons in Podcasting on our monthly Extended Cuts page!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 338 - A month-long, part-time project writing personalized letters from Santa Claus earns $6,000
- Ep. 339 - Two friends in their twenties create a “nonsense” party game. Ten years later, they turn it into a side hustle that is now sold at Target
- Ep. 340 - After a year’s worth of shopping and research, a criminal defense attorney and digital operations manager launch a line of accessories at local shops
- Ep. 341 - A Texas couple’s bucket list challenge turns into a full-time hustle making and selling ice pops throughout the state
- Ep. 342 - In this meow-nificent episode, a Houston scientist and her partner start a service to look after cats when their owners are on vacation. Avoid pro-cat-stination—listen to Side Hustle School and get to work!
- Ep. 343 - By day, she works at a museum in Berkeley, California. The rest of the time, she builds giant puppets and produces performances for eager audiences
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm in the middle of my 100-city book tour. I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- Brooklyn, NY - December 13th
- Victoria, Canada - January 26th
- MORE STOPS COMING SOON!
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- After getting locked out of his apartment, a software engineer creates a pocket tool that sells 500,000 units and now employs 17 people
- A neuroscientist turned marketing manager moonlights as an artist, selling original papercut designs on Etsy with very little marketing
- A Montreal engineer creates a camera review blog that earns passive affiliate commissions month after month
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,